Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 net-next 3/5] net: dsa: microchip: add eth mac grouping for ethtool statistics

From: Alexander Lobakin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2023 15:31:35 +0100

From: Vladimir Oltean <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2023 23:53:49 +0200

> On Fri, Feb 24, 2023 at 05:07:01PM +0100, Alexander Lobakin wrote:
>> It's not so common for people to show up back in the thread after you
>> ask them to show godbolt / asm code comparison.
> 
> idk what godbolt is, but if it's some sort of online compiler, then I
> suppose it's of limited usefulness for the Linux kernel.

Yeah it's an online compiler, which can spit out assembly code. For
testing non-complex stuff or macros it's often enough.

> 
> Easiest way to see a disassembly (also has C code interleaved) would be
> this:
> 
> make drivers/net/dsa/microchip/ksz_ethtool.lst

Oh, nice! I didn't know Kbuild has capability of listing the assembly
code built-in. I was adding it manually to Makefiles when needed >_<
Thanks! :D

> 
> This is also useful to see precisely which instruction went boom in case
> there's a NULL pointer dereference or something like that.

Thanks,
Olek