Subject: Outbound IPIP Tunnel Packets not shaped/policed

From: Javier Szyszlican <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2004 20:36:14 -0300

Hi,

I've a gateway host (cali), connected to the Internet via ADSL and a PPTP tunnel 
(ppp0). I also have a IPIP tunnel to another host over the Internet (mytun).

I want to give more priority to the IPIP packets coming OUT of the PPP (PPTP 
connection) interface.  And I can't get this to work.

Class 2:21 is the one with high priority.

FILTERS:

filter parent 2: protocol ip pref 1 fw
filter parent 2: protocol ip pref 1 fw handle 0x1 classid 2:21

CLASS Stats:

class htb 2:21 parent 2:1 prio 1 rate 96Kbit ceil 128Kbit burst 1721b cburst 1762b
  Sent 0 bytes 0 pkts (dropped 0, overlimits 0)
  lended: 0 borrowed: 0 giants: 0
  tokens: 218962 ctokens: 168131

As you can see no packets have gone out of this class.

IPTABLES RULES (mangle table):

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT 794K packets, 111M bytes)
  pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source               destination
  4984  377K mark.4     4    --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0

Chain mark.4 (1 references)
  pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source               destination
  4984  377K MARK       all  --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0 
       MARK set 0x1

But you can see that iptables is marking the packets correctly (the counters 
were reset at the same time).

So, I'm guessing that the IPIP packets generated by the kernel, are not going 
into the packet scheduling routines/functions.

If someone can point me to the place where this should be occurring, it will be 
great.

I'm using Kernel 2.6.9 (2.6.8 did the same thing).

Thanks.
Javier

-- 
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Javier Szyszlican
javier@^^^^^.com