Subject: [PATCH V9 00/13] ptp: IEEE 1588 hardware clock support

From: Richard Cochran <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 12:31:06 +0100

* Introduction

  The aim of this patch set is to add support for PTP Hardware Clocks
  (PHCs) into the Linux kernel.

  The first nine patches provide infrastructure supporting dynamic
  POSIX clock devices. This new code will be useful for other kinds of
  new clocks, not just PHCs.

  The last four patches implement the PHC code.

  Support for obtaining timestamps from a PHC already exists via the
  SO_TIMESTAMPING socket option, integrated in kernel version 2.6.30.
  This patch set completes the picture by allow user space programs to
  adjust the PHC and to control its ancillary features.

* Patch ChangeLog

** v9
*** dynamic posix clocks
    - changed the kernel interface to be less idiosyncratic
*** ptp hardware clocks
    - changed the kernel interface to be less idiosyncratic
*** posix clock/ntp syscalls
    - completely removed the CLOCK_DISPATCH macro
    - pick a bit for ADJ_SETOFFSET that is unused by BSD
*** ixp driver
    - resolved todo regarding npe to channel mapping
    - removed weird CamelCase from register definitions
    - removed wrapper functions for reading/writing registers

* Previous Discussions

  This patch set previously appeared on the netdev list. Since V5 of
  the character device patch set, the discussion has moved to the
  lkml.

  - IEEE 1588 hardware clock support [V5]
    http://lkml.org/lkml/2010/8/16/90

  - POSIX clock tuning syscall with static clock ids
    http://lkml.org/lkml/2010/8/23/49

  - POSIX clock tuning syscall with dynamic clock ids
    http://lkml.org/lkml/2010/9/3/119

  - IEEE 1588 hardware clock support [V6]
    http://lkml.org/lkml/2010/9/23/310

  - Dynamic clock devices [RFC]
    http://lkml.org/lkml/2010/11/4/290

  - IEEE 1588 hardware clock support [V7]
    http://lkml.org/lkml/2010/12/16/195

  - IEEE 1588 hardware clock support [V8]
    http://lkml.org/lkml/2010/12/31/128

Thanks for your comments.

Enjoy,
Richard

John Stultz (1):
  time: Introduce timekeeping_inject_offset

Richard Cochran (12):
  ntp: add ADJ_SETOFFSET mode bit
  posix clocks: introduce a syscall for clock tuning.
  posix_clocks: add clock_adjtime for arm
  posix_clocks: add clock_adjtime for blackfin
  posix_clocks: add clock_adjtime for powerpc
  posix_clocks: add clock_adjtime for x86
  posix clocks: cleanup the CLOCK_DISPTACH macro
  posix clocks: introduce dynamic clocks
  ptp: Added a brand new class driver for ptp clocks.
  ptp: Added a clock that uses the eTSEC found on the MPC85xx.
  ptp: Added a clock driver for the IXP46x.
  ptp: Added a clock driver for the National Semiconductor PHYTER.

 Documentation/ABI/testing/sysfs-ptp             |   97 +++
 Documentation/powerpc/dts-bindings/fsl/tsec.txt |   57 ++
 Documentation/ptp/ptp.txt                       |   93 +++
 Documentation/ptp/testptp.c                     |  352 +++++++++
 Documentation/ptp/testptp.mk                    |   33 +
 arch/arm/include/asm/unistd.h                   |    1 +
 arch/arm/kernel/calls.S                         |    1 +
 arch/arm/mach-ixp4xx/include/mach/ixp46x_ts.h   |   78 ++
 arch/blackfin/include/asm/unistd.h              |    3 +-
 arch/blackfin/mach-common/entry.S               |    1 +
 arch/powerpc/boot/dts/mpc8313erdb.dts           |   14 +
 arch/powerpc/boot/dts/mpc8572ds.dts             |   14 +
 arch/powerpc/boot/dts/p2020ds.dts               |   14 +
 arch/powerpc/boot/dts/p2020rdb.dts              |   14 +
 arch/powerpc/include/asm/systbl.h               |    1 +
 arch/powerpc/include/asm/unistd.h               |    3 +-
 arch/x86/ia32/ia32entry.S                       |    1 +
 arch/x86/include/asm/unistd_32.h                |    3 +-
 arch/x86/include/asm/unistd_64.h                |    2 +
 arch/x86/kernel/syscall_table_32.S              |    1 +
 drivers/Kconfig                                 |    2 +
 drivers/Makefile                                |    1 +
 drivers/char/mmtimer.c                          |    1 +
 drivers/net/Makefile                            |    1 +
 drivers/net/arm/ixp4xx_eth.c                    |  192 +++++-
 drivers/net/gianfar_ptp.c                       |  448 +++++++++++
 drivers/net/gianfar_ptp_reg.h                   |  113 +++
 drivers/net/phy/Kconfig                         |   29 +
 drivers/net/phy/Makefile                        |    1 +
 drivers/net/phy/dp83640.c                       |  896 +++++++++++++++++++++++
 drivers/net/phy/dp83640_reg.h                   |  261 +++++++
 drivers/ptp/Kconfig                             |   53 ++
 drivers/ptp/Makefile                            |    7 +
 drivers/ptp/ptp_chardev.c                       |  144 ++++
 drivers/ptp/ptp_clock.c                         |  319 ++++++++
 drivers/ptp/ptp_ixp46x.c                        |  332 +++++++++
 drivers/ptp/ptp_private.h                       |   85 +++
 drivers/ptp/ptp_sysfs.c                         |  226 ++++++
 include/linux/Kbuild                            |    1 +
 include/linux/posix-clock.h                     |  150 ++++
 include/linux/posix-timers.h                    |   25 +-
 include/linux/ptp_clock.h                       |   79 ++
 include/linux/ptp_clock_kernel.h                |  141 ++++
 include/linux/syscalls.h                        |    2 +
 include/linux/time.h                            |    3 +
 include/linux/timex.h                           |    3 +-
 kernel/compat.c                                 |  136 +++--
 kernel/posix-cpu-timers.c                       |    8 +-
 kernel/posix-timers.c                           |  257 +++++---
 kernel/time/Makefile                            |    3 +-
 kernel/time/ntp.c                               |   11 +
 kernel/time/posix-clock-syscalls.h              |   39 +
 kernel/time/posix-clock.c                       |  432 +++++++++++
 kernel/time/timekeeping.c                       |   36 +
 54 files changed, 5068 insertions(+), 152 deletions(-)
 create mode 100644 Documentation/ABI/testing/sysfs-ptp
 create mode 100644 Documentation/ptp/ptp.txt
 create mode 100644 Documentation/ptp/testptp.c
 create mode 100644 Documentation/ptp/testptp.mk
 create mode 100644 arch/arm/mach-ixp4xx/include/mach/ixp46x_ts.h
 create mode 100644 drivers/net/gianfar_ptp.c
 create mode 100644 drivers/net/gianfar_ptp_reg.h
 create mode 100644 drivers/net/phy/dp83640.c
 create mode 100644 drivers/net/phy/dp83640_reg.h
 create mode 100644 drivers/ptp/Kconfig
 create mode 100644 drivers/ptp/Makefile
 create mode 100644 drivers/ptp/ptp_chardev.c
 create mode 100644 drivers/ptp/ptp_clock.c
 create mode 100644 drivers/ptp/ptp_ixp46x.c
 create mode 100644 drivers/ptp/ptp_private.h
 create mode 100644 drivers/ptp/ptp_sysfs.c
 create mode 100644 include/linux/posix-clock.h
 create mode 100644 include/linux/ptp_clock.h
 create mode 100644 include/linux/ptp_clock_kernel.h
 create mode 100644 kernel/time/posix-clock-syscalls.h
 create mode 100644 kernel/time/posix-clock.c