Subject: [RFC PATCH 0/2] selinux: avoid nf hooks overhead when not needed

From: Paolo Abeni <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2016 11:51:33 +0200

Currently, selinux always registers iptables POSTROUTING hooks regarless of
the running policy needs for any action to be performed by them.

Even the socket_sock_rcv_skb() is always registered, but it can result in a no-op
depending on the current policy configuration.

The above invocations in the kernel datapath are cause of measurable
overhead in networking performance test.

This patch series adds explicit notification for netlabel status change 
(other relevant status change, like xfrm and secmark, are already notified to
LSM) and use this information in selinux to register the above hooks only when
the current status makes them relevant, deregistering them when no-op

Avoiding the LSM hooks overhead, in netperf UDP_STREAM test with small packets,
gives about 5% performance improvement on rx and about 8% on tx.

Paolo Abeni (2):
  security: add hook for netlabel status change notification
  selinux: implement support for dynamic net hook [de-]registration

 include/linux/lsm_hooks.h           |  6 ++++
 include/linux/security.h            |  5 +++
 net/netlabel/netlabel_cipso_v4.c    |  8 +++--
 net/netlabel/netlabel_unlabeled.c   |  5 ++-
 security/security.c                 |  7 ++++
 security/selinux/hooks.c            | 72 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++------
 security/selinux/include/security.h |  1 +
 security/selinux/ss/services.c      |  1 +
 security/selinux/xfrm.c             |  4 +++
 9 files changed, 96 insertions(+), 13 deletions(-)

-- 
1.8.3.1