Subject: [PATCH 0/2] IPv4-mapped on wire, :: dst address issue

From: "Jonathan T. Leighton" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2017 17:26:05 -0500

Under some circumstances IPv6 datagrams are sent with IPv4-mapped IPv6
addresses as the source. Given an IPv6 socket bound to an IPv4-mapped
IPv6 address, and an IPv6 destination address, both TCP and UDP will
will send packets using the IPv4-mapped IPv6 address as the source. Per
RFC 6890 (Table 20), IPv4-mapped IPv6 source addresses are not allowed
in an IP datagram. The problem can be observed by attempting to
connect() either a TCP or UDP socket, or by using sendmsg() with a UDP
socket. The patch is intended to correct this issue for all socket
types.

linux follows the BSD convention that an IPv6 destination address
specified as in6addr_any is converted to the loopback address.
Currently, neither TCP nor UDP consider the possibility that the source
address is an IPv4-mapped IPv6 address, and assume that the appropriate
loopback address is ::1. The patch adds a check on whether or not the
source address is an IPv4-mapped IPv6 address and then sets the
destination address to either ::ffff:127.0.0.1 or ::1, as appropriate.

Jon

Jonathan T. Leighton (2):
  ipv6: Inhibit IPv4-mapped src address on the wire.
  ipv6: Handle IPv4-mapped src to in6addr_any dst.

 net/ipv6/datagram.c   | 14 +++++++++-----
 net/ipv6/ip6_output.c |  3 +++
 net/ipv6/tcp_ipv6.c   | 11 ++++++++---
 net/ipv6/udp.c        |  4 ++++
 4 files changed, 24 insertions(+), 8 deletions(-)

-- 
2.7.4