Subject: [PATCH v2 0/3] virtio_net: allow hypervisor to indicate linkspeed and duplex setting

From: Jason Baron <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2017 16:54:00 -0500

We have found it useful to be able to set the linkspeed and duplex
settings from the host-side for virtio_net. This obviates the need
for guest changes and settings for these fields, and does not require
custom ethtool commands for virtio_net.
                                                                                                                          
The ability to set linkspeed and duplex is useful in various cases
as described here:                                                                                                        
                                                                                                                          
16032be virtio_net: add ethtool support for set and get of settings                                                       
                                                                                                                          
Using 'ethtool -s' continues to over-write the linkspeed/duplex                                                           
settings with this patch.                                                                                          
                                                                                                                          
The 1/3 patch is against net-next, while the 2-3/3 patch are the associated
qemu changes that would go in after as update-linux-headers.sh should
be run first. So the qemu patches are a demonstration of how I intend this
to work.
                                                                                                                          
Thanks,                                                                                                                   
                                                                                                                          
-Jason                                                                                                                    
                                                                                                                          
 linux changes:                                                                                                           

Jason Baron (1):
  virtio_net: propagate linkspeed/duplex settings from the hypervisor

 drivers/net/virtio_net.c        | 17 ++++++++++++++++-
 include/uapi/linux/virtio_net.h |  5 +++++
 2 files changed, 21 insertions(+), 1 deletion(-)

 qemu changes:                                                                                                            

Jason Baron (2):
  qemu: virtio-net: use 64-bit values for feature flags
  qemu: add linkspeed and duplex settings to virtio-net

 hw/net/virtio-net.c                         | 83 +++++++++++++++++++----------
 include/hw/virtio/virtio-net.h              |  5 +-
 include/standard-headers/linux/virtio_net.h |  4 ++
 3 files changed, 64 insertions(+), 28 deletions(-)