Subject: [PATCH net-next 0/5] net: stmmac: Stop using hard-coded callbacks

From: Jose Abreu <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2018 14:08:14 +0100

This a starting point for a cleanup and re-organization of stmmac.

In this series we stop using hard-coded callbacks along the code and use
instead helpers which are defined in a single place ("hwif.h").

This brings several advantages:
	1) Less typing :)
	2) Guaranteed function pointer check
	3) More flexibility

By 2) we stop using the repeated pattern of:
	if (priv->hw->mac->some_func)
		priv->hw->mac->some_func(...)

I didn't check but I expect the final .ko will be bigger with this series
because *all* of function pointers are checked.

Anyway, I hope this can make the code more readable and more flexible now.

Cc: David S. Miller <[email-masked]>
Cc: Joao Pinto <[email-masked]>
Cc: Giuseppe Cavallaro <[email-masked]>
Cc: Alexandre Torgue <[email-masked]>

Jose Abreu (5):
  net: stmmac: Switch stmmac_desc_ops to generic HW Interface Helpers
  net: stmmac: Switch stmmac_dma_ops to generic HW Interface Helpers
  net: stmmac: Switch stmmac_ops to generic HW Interface Helpers
  net: stmmac: Switch stmmac_hwtimestamp to generic HW Interface Helpers
  net: stmmac: Switch stmmac_mode_ops to generic HW Interface Helpers

 drivers/net/ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/chain_mode.c   |  34 +-
 drivers/net/ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/common.h       | 199 +---------
 drivers/net/ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/dwmac4_descs.c |   4 +-
 drivers/net/ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/dwmac5.c       |  19 +-
 drivers/net/ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/dwmac5.h       |   6 +-
 drivers/net/ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/enh_desc.c     |   4 +-
 drivers/net/ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/hwif.h         | 421 ++++++++++++++++++++
 drivers/net/ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/norm_desc.c    |   4 +-
 drivers/net/ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/ring_mode.c    |  39 +-
 .../net/ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/stmmac_ethtool.c   |  82 ++--
 .../net/ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/stmmac_hwtstamp.c  |  34 +-
 drivers/net/ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/stmmac_main.c  | 439 +++++++++------------
 drivers/net/ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/stmmac_ptp.c   |  18 +-
 13 files changed, 726 insertions(+), 577 deletions(-)
 create mode 100644 drivers/net/ethernet/stmicro/stmmac/hwif.h

-- 
2.9.3