Subject: [PATCH net-next 0/2] net: refactor ndo_select_queue()

From: Paolo Abeni <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2019 14:25:00 +0100

Currently, on most devices implementing ndo_select_queue(), we get 2
indirect calls per xmit packet, at least in some scenarios.

We can avoid one of such indirect calls refactoring the ndo_select_queue()
usage so that we don't need anymore the 'fallback' argument.

The first patch changes the af packet implementation so that it uses the common
infrastructure to select the xmit queue, and the second patch drops the now
unneeded argument from ndo_select_queue()

Alternatively we could use the INDIRECT_CALL_WRAPPER infrastructure to avoid
the fallback indirect call in the common case, but this solution allow also
for some code cleanup.

Paolo Abeni (2):
  packet: rework packet_pick_tx_queue() to use common code selection
  net: remove 'fallback' argument from dev->ndo_select_queue()

 drivers/infiniband/hw/hfi1/vnic_main.c           |  3 +--
 .../infiniband/ulp/opa_vnic/opa_vnic_netdev.c    |  6 ++----
 drivers/net/bonding/bond_main.c                  |  3 +--
 drivers/net/ethernet/amazon/ena/ena_netdev.c     |  5 ++---
 drivers/net/ethernet/broadcom/bcmsysport.c       |  7 +++----
 drivers/net/ethernet/broadcom/bnx2x/bnx2x_cmn.c  |  5 ++---
 drivers/net/ethernet/broadcom/bnx2x/bnx2x_cmn.h  |  3 +--
 drivers/net/ethernet/chelsio/cxgb4/cxgb4_main.c  |  5 ++---
 drivers/net/ethernet/hisilicon/hns/hns_enet.c    |  5 ++---
 drivers/net/ethernet/intel/ixgbe/ixgbe_main.c    |  5 ++---
 drivers/net/ethernet/mellanox/mlx4/en_tx.c       |  7 +++----
 drivers/net/ethernet/mellanox/mlx4/mlx4_en.h     |  3 +--
 drivers/net/ethernet/mellanox/mlx5/core/en.h     |  3 +--
 drivers/net/ethernet/mellanox/mlx5/core/en_tx.c  |  5 ++---
 drivers/net/ethernet/qlogic/qede/qede.h          |  3 +--
 drivers/net/ethernet/qlogic/qede/qede_fp.c       |  5 ++---
 drivers/net/ethernet/renesas/ravb_main.c         |  3 +--
 drivers/net/ethernet/sun/ldmvsw.c                |  3 +--
 drivers/net/ethernet/sun/sunvnet.c               |  3 +--
 drivers/net/hyperv/netvsc_drv.c                  |  8 +++-----
 drivers/net/net_failover.c                       |  8 +++-----
 drivers/net/team/team.c                          |  3 +--
 drivers/net/tun.c                                |  3 +--
 drivers/net/wireless/marvell/mwifiex/main.c      |  3 +--
 drivers/net/xen-netback/interface.c              |  6 +++---
 drivers/net/xen-netfront.c                       |  3 +--
 drivers/staging/rtl8188eu/os_dep/os_intfs.c      |  3 +--
 drivers/staging/rtl8723bs/os_dep/os_intfs.c      |  3 +--
 include/linux/netdevice.h                        | 14 ++++++--------
 net/core/dev.c                                   | 14 ++++++--------
 net/mac80211/iface.c                             |  6 ++----
 net/packet/af_packet.c                           | 16 +++++++---------
 32 files changed, 67 insertions(+), 105 deletions(-)

-- 
2.20.1