Subject: [PATCH net-next v2 0/3] net: refactor ndo_select_queue()

From: Paolo Abeni <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2019 11:02:03 +0100

Currently, on most devices implementing ndo_select_queue(), we get 2
indirect calls per xmit packet, at least in some scenarios.

We can avoid one of such indirect calls refactoring the ndo_select_queue()
usage so that we don't need anymore the 'fallback' argument.

The first patch renames a helper used later as a public API, the second one
changes the af packet implementation so that it uses the common infrastructure
to select the xmit queue, and the second patch drops the now unneeded argument
from ndo_select_queue().

Alternatively we could use the INDIRECT_CALL_WRAPPER infrastructure to avoid
the fallback indirect call in the common case, but this solution allows also
for some code cleanup.

 v1 -> v2:
  - renamed select queue helpers, as per Eric's and David's suggestions

Paolo Abeni (3):
  net: dev: rename queue selection helpers.
  packet: rework packet_pick_tx_queue() to use common code selection
  net: remove 'fallback' argument from dev->ndo_select_queue()

 drivers/infiniband/hw/hfi1/vnic_main.c        |  3 +--
 .../infiniband/ulp/opa_vnic/opa_vnic_netdev.c |  6 ++---
 drivers/net/bonding/bond_main.c               |  3 +--
 drivers/net/ethernet/amazon/ena/ena_netdev.c  |  5 ++--
 drivers/net/ethernet/broadcom/bcmsysport.c    |  7 +++--
 .../net/ethernet/broadcom/bnx2x/bnx2x_cmn.c   |  5 ++--
 .../net/ethernet/broadcom/bnx2x/bnx2x_cmn.h   |  3 +--
 .../net/ethernet/chelsio/cxgb4/cxgb4_main.c   |  5 ++--
 drivers/net/ethernet/hisilicon/hns/hns_enet.c |  5 ++--
 drivers/net/ethernet/intel/ixgbe/ixgbe_main.c |  5 ++--
 drivers/net/ethernet/mellanox/mlx4/en_tx.c    |  7 +++--
 drivers/net/ethernet/mellanox/mlx4/mlx4_en.h  |  3 +--
 drivers/net/ethernet/mellanox/mlx5/core/en.h  |  3 +--
 .../net/ethernet/mellanox/mlx5/core/en_tx.c   |  5 ++--
 drivers/net/ethernet/qlogic/qede/qede.h       |  3 +--
 drivers/net/ethernet/qlogic/qede/qede_fp.c    |  5 ++--
 drivers/net/ethernet/renesas/ravb_main.c      |  3 +--
 drivers/net/ethernet/sun/ldmvsw.c             |  3 +--
 drivers/net/ethernet/sun/sunvnet.c            |  3 +--
 drivers/net/hyperv/netvsc_drv.c               | 10 +++----
 drivers/net/net_failover.c                    |  8 +++---
 drivers/net/team/team.c                       |  3 +--
 drivers/net/tun.c                             |  3 +--
 drivers/net/wireless/marvell/mwifiex/main.c   |  3 +--
 drivers/net/xen-netback/interface.c           |  6 ++---
 drivers/net/xen-netfront.c                    |  3 +--
 drivers/staging/rtl8188eu/os_dep/os_intfs.c   |  3 +--
 drivers/staging/rtl8723bs/os_dep/os_intfs.c   |  3 +--
 include/linux/netdevice.h                     | 20 +++++++-------
 net/core/dev.c                                | 26 +++++++++----------
 net/core/netpoll.c                            |  2 +-
 net/mac80211/iface.c                          |  6 ++---
 net/packet/af_packet.c                        | 16 +++++-------
 net/xfrm/xfrm_device.c                        |  2 +-
 34 files changed, 79 insertions(+), 117 deletions(-)

-- 
2.20.1