Subject: [PATCH V4 net-next 0/6] Peer to Peer One-Step time stamping

From: Richard Cochran <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2019 22:58:01 -0700

This series adds support for PTP (IEEE 1588) P2P one-step time
stamping along with a driver for a hardware device that supports this.

If the hardware supports p2p one-step, it subtracts the ingress time
stamp value from the Pdelay_Request correction field.  The user space
software stack then simply copies the correction field into the
Pdelay_Response, and on transmission the hardware adds the egress time
stamp into the correction field.

This new functionality extends CONFIG_NETWORK_PHY_TIMESTAMPING to
cover MII snooping devices, but it still depends on phylib, just as
that option does.  Expanding beyond phylib is not within the scope of
the this series.

User space support is available in the current linuxptp master branch.

- Patch 1 adds the new option.
- Patches 2-5 add support for MII time stamping in non-PHY devices.
- Patch 6 adds a driver implementing the new option.

Thanks,
Richard

Changed in v4:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

- Correct error paths and PTR_ERR return values in the framework.
- Expanded KernelDoc comments WRT PHY locking.
- Pick up Andrew's review tag.

Changed in v3:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

- Simplify the device tree binding and document the time stamping
  phandle by itself.

Changed in v2:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

- Per the v1 review, changed the modeling of MII time stamping
  devices.  They are no longer a kind of mdio device.

Richard Cochran (6):
  net: Introduce peer to peer one step PTP time stamping.
  net: Introduce a new MII time stamping interface.
  net: Add a layer for non-PHY MII time stamping drivers.
  dt-bindings: ptp: Introduce MII time stamping devices.
  net: mdio: of: Register discovered MII time stampers.
  ptp: Add a driver for InES time stamping IP core.

 Documentation/devicetree/bindings/ptp/ptp-ines.txt |  35 +
 .../devicetree/bindings/ptp/timestamper.txt        |  41 +
 drivers/net/ethernet/broadcom/bnx2x/bnx2x_main.c   |   1 +
 drivers/net/phy/Makefile                           |   2 +
 drivers/net/phy/dp83640.c                          |  47 +-
 drivers/net/phy/mii_timestamper.c                  | 121 +++
 drivers/net/phy/phy.c                              |   4 +-
 drivers/net/phy/phy_device.c                       |   5 +
 drivers/of/of_mdio.c                               |  30 +-
 drivers/ptp/Kconfig                                |  10 +
 drivers/ptp/Makefile                               |   1 +
 drivers/ptp/ptp_ines.c                             | 859 +++++++++++++++++++++
 include/linux/mii_timestamper.h                    | 120 +++
 include/linux/phy.h                                |  25 +-
 include/uapi/linux/net_tstamp.h                    |   8 +
 net/8021q/vlan_dev.c                               |   4 +-
 net/Kconfig                                        |   7 +-
 net/core/dev_ioctl.c                               |   1 +
 net/core/ethtool.c                                 |   4 +-
 net/core/timestamping.c                            |  20 +-
 20 files changed, 1287 insertions(+), 58 deletions(-)
 create mode 100644 Documentation/devicetree/bindings/ptp/ptp-ines.txt
 create mode 100644 Documentation/devicetree/bindings/ptp/timestamper.txt
 create mode 100644 drivers/net/phy/mii_timestamper.c
 create mode 100644 drivers/ptp/ptp_ines.c
 create mode 100644 include/linux/mii_timestamper.h

-- 
2.11.0