Subject: [PATCH net-next v2 0/5] net: use ICW for sk_proto->{send,recv}msg

From: Paolo Abeni <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2019 16:06:51 +0200

This series extends ICW usage to one of the few remaining spots in fast-path
still hitting per packet retpoline overhead, namely the sk_proto->{send,recv}msg
calls.

The first 3 patches in this series refactor the existing code so that applying
the ICW macros is straight-forward: we demux inet_{recv,send}msg in ipv4 and
ipv6 variants so that each of them can easily select the appropriate TCP or UDP
direct call. While at it, a new helper is created to avoid excessive code
duplication, and the current ICWs for inet_{recv,send}msg are adjusted
accordingly.

The last 2 patches really introduce the new ICW use-case, respectively for the
ipv6 and the ipv4 code path.

This gives up to 5% performance improvement under UDP flood, and smaller but
measurable gains for TCP RR workloads.

v1 -> v2:
 - drop inet6_{recv,send}msg declaration from header file,
   prefer ICW macro instead
 - avoid unneeded reclaration for udp_sendmsg, as suggested by Willem

Paolo Abeni (5):
  inet: factor out inet_send_prepare()
  ipv6: provide and use ipv6 specific version for {recv,send}msg
  net: adjust socket level ICW to cope with ipv6 variant of
    {recv,send}msg
  ipv6: use indirect call wrappers for {tcp,udpv6}_{recv,send}msg()
  ipv4: use indirect call wrappers for {tcp,udp}_{recv,send}msg()

 include/net/inet_common.h |  1 +
 net/ipv4/af_inet.c        | 31 ++++++++++++++++++-----------
 net/ipv6/af_inet6.c       | 41 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++----
 net/socket.c              | 23 +++++++++++-----------
 4 files changed, 69 insertions(+), 27 deletions(-)

-- 
2.20.1