Subject: [PATCH bpf-next 0/8] Optimize BPF tail calls for direct jumps

From: Daniel Borkmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2019 02:38:31 +0100

This gets rid of indirect jumps for BPF tail calls whenever possible.
The series adds emission for *direct* jumps for tail call maps in order
to avoid the retpoline overhead from a493a87f38cf ("bpf, x64: implement
retpoline for tail call") for situations that allow for it, meaning,
for known constant keys at verification time which are used as index
into the tail call map. See patch 7/8 for more general details.

Thanks!

rfc -> v1:
  - Applied Alexei's and Andrii's feeback from
    https://lore.kernel.org/bpf/[email-masked]/T/#t

Daniel Borkmann (8):
  bpf, x86: generalize and extend bpf_arch_text_poke for direct jumps
  bpf: move bpf_free_used_maps into sleepable section
  bpf: move owner type,jited info into array auxiliary data
  bpf: add initial poke descriptor table for jit images
  bpf: add poke dependency tracking for prog array maps
  bpf: constant map key tracking for prog array pokes
  bpf, x86: emit patchable direct jump as tail call
  bpf, testing: add various tail call test cases

 arch/x86/net/bpf_jit_comp.c                   | 250 +++++++++++++-----
 include/linux/bpf.h                           |  84 +++++-
 include/linux/bpf_verifier.h                  |   3 +-
 include/linux/filter.h                        |  10 +
 kernel/bpf/arraymap.c                         | 183 ++++++++++++-
 kernel/bpf/core.c                             |  73 ++++-
 kernel/bpf/map_in_map.c                       |   5 +-
 kernel/bpf/syscall.c                          |  36 +--
 kernel/bpf/verifier.c                         | 116 +++++++-
 .../selftests/bpf/prog_tests/tailcalls.c      | 210 +++++++++++++++
 tools/testing/selftests/bpf/progs/tailcall1.c |  48 ++++
 tools/testing/selftests/bpf/progs/tailcall2.c |  59 +++++
 12 files changed, 947 insertions(+), 130 deletions(-)
 create mode 100644 tools/testing/selftests/bpf/prog_tests/tailcalls.c
 create mode 100644 tools/testing/selftests/bpf/progs/tailcall1.c
 create mode 100644 tools/testing/selftests/bpf/progs/tailcall2.c

-- 
2.21.0