Subject: [PATCH net 0/2] net/sched: cls_u32: fix refcount leak

From: Davide Caratti <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2019 00:00:03 +0100

a refcount leak in the error path of u32_change() has been recently
introduced. It can be observed with the following commands:

  [root@f31 ~]# tc filter replace dev eth0 ingress protocol ip prio 97 \
  > u32 match ip src 127.0.0.1/32 indev notexist20 flowid 1:1 action drop
  RTNETLINK answers: Invalid argument
  We have an error talking to the kernel
  [root@f31 ~]# tc filter replace dev eth0 ingress protocol ip prio 98 \
  > handle 42:42 u32 divisor 256
  Error: cls_u32: Divisor can only be used on a hash table.
  We have an error talking to the kernel
  [root@f31 ~]# tc filter replace dev eth0 ingress protocol ip prio 99 \
  > u32 ht 47:47
  Error: cls_u32: Specified hash table not found.
  We have an error talking to the kernel

they all legitimately return -EINVAL; however, they leave semi-configured
filters at eth0 tc ingress:

 [root@f31 ~]# tc filter show dev eth0 ingress
 filter protocol ip pref 97 u32 chain 0
 filter protocol ip pref 97 u32 chain 0 fh 800: ht divisor 1
 filter protocol ip pref 98 u32 chain 0
 filter protocol ip pref 98 u32 chain 0 fh 801: ht divisor 1
 filter protocol ip pref 99 u32 chain 0
 filter protocol ip pref 99 u32 chain 0 fh 802: ht divisor 1

With older kernels, filters were unconditionally considered empty (and
thus de-refcounted) on the error path of ->change().
After commit 8b64678e0af8 ("net: sched: refactor tp insert/delete for
concurrent execution"), filters were considered empty when the walk()
function didn't set 'walker.stop' to 1.
Finally, with commit 6676d5e416ee ("net: sched: set dedicated tcf_walker
flag when tp is empty"), tc filters are considered empty unless the walker
function is called with a non-NULL handle. This last change doesn't fit
cls_u32 design, because at least the "root hnode" is (almost) always
non-NULL, as it's allocated in u32_init().

- patch 1/2 is a proposal to restore the original kernel behavior, where
  no filter was installed in the error path of u32_change().
- patch 2/2 adds tdc selftests that can be ued to verify the correct
  behavior of u32 in the error path of ->change().

Davide Caratti (2):
  net/sched: cls_u32: fix refcount leak in the error path of
    u32_change()
  tc-testing: initial tdc selftests for cls_u32

 net/sched/cls_u32.c                           |  25 +++
 .../tc-testing/tc-tests/filters/tests.json    |  22 --
 .../tc-testing/tc-tests/filters/u32.json      | 205 ++++++++++++++++++
 3 files changed, 230 insertions(+), 22 deletions(-)
 create mode 100644 tools/testing/selftests/tc-testing/tc-tests/filters/u32.json

-- 
2.23.0