Subject: [PATCH 00/34] docs: avoid using ReST :doc:`foo` tag

From: Mauro Carvalho Chehab <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2021 15:17:59 +0200

As discussed at:
	https://lore.kernel.org/linux-doc/[email-masked]/

It is better to avoid using :doc:`foo` to refer to Documentation/foo.rst, as the
automarkup.py extension should handle it automatically, on most cases.

There are a couple of exceptions to this rule:

1. when :doc:  tag is used to point to a kernel-doc DOC: markup;
2. when it is used with a named tag, e. g. :doc:`some name <foo>`;

It should also be noticed that automarkup.py has currently an issue:
if one use a markup like:

	Documentation/dev-tools/kunit/api/test.rst
	  - documents all of the standard testing API excluding mocking
	    or mocking related features.

or, even:

	Documentation/dev-tools/kunit/api/test.rst
	    documents all of the standard testing API excluding mocking
	    or mocking related features.
	
The automarkup.py will simply ignore it. Not sure why. This patch series
avoid the above patterns (which is present only on 4 files), but it would be
nice to have a followup patch fixing the issue at automarkup.py.

On this series:

Patch 1 manually adjust the references inside driver-api/pm/devices.rst,
as there it uses :file:`foo` to refer to some Documentation/ files;

Patch 2 converts a table at Documentation/dev-tools/kunit/api/index.rst
into a list, carefully avoiding the 

Patch 3 converts the cross-references at the media documentation, also
avoiding the automarkup.py bug;

Patches 4-34 convert the other occurrences via a replace script. They were
manually edited, in order to honour 80-columns where possible.

I did a diff between the Sphinx 2.4.4 output before and after this patch
series in order to double-check that all converted Documentation/ 
references will produce <a href=<foo>.rst>foo title</a> tags.

Mauro Carvalho Chehab (34):
  docs: devices.rst: better reference documentation docs
  docs: dev-tools: kunit: don't use a table for docs name
  media: docs: */media/index.rst: don't use ReST doc:`foo`
  media: userspace-api: avoid using ReST :doc:`foo` markup
  media: driver-api: drivers: avoid using ReST :doc:`foo` markup
  media: admin-guide: avoid using ReST :doc:`foo` markup
  docs: admin-guide: pm: avoid using ReSt :doc:`foo` markup
  docs: admin-guide: hw-vuln: avoid using ReST :doc:`foo` markup
  docs: admin-guide: sysctl: avoid using ReST :doc:`foo` markup
  docs: block: biodoc.rst: avoid using ReSt :doc:`foo` markup
  docs: bpf: bpf_lsm.rst: avoid using ReSt :doc:`foo` markup
  docs: core-api: avoid using ReSt :doc:`foo` markup
  docs: dev-tools: testing-overview.rst: avoid using ReSt :doc:`foo`
    markup
  docs: dev-tools: kunit: avoid using ReST :doc:`foo` markup
  docs: devicetree: bindings: submitting-patches.rst: avoid using ReSt
    :doc:`foo` markup
  docs: doc-guide: avoid using ReSt :doc:`foo` markup
  docs: driver-api: avoid using ReSt :doc:`foo` markup
  docs: driver-api: gpio: using-gpio.rst: avoid using ReSt :doc:`foo`
    markup
  docs: driver-api: surface_aggregator: avoid using ReSt :doc:`foo`
    markup
  docs: driver-api: usb: avoid using ReSt :doc:`foo` markup
  docs: firmware-guide: acpi: avoid using ReSt :doc:`foo` markup
  docs: hwmon: adm1177.rst: avoid using ReSt :doc:`foo` markup
  docs: i2c: avoid using ReSt :doc:`foo` markup
  docs: kernel-hacking: hacking.rst: avoid using ReSt :doc:`foo` markup
  docs: networking: devlink: avoid using ReSt :doc:`foo` markup
  docs: PCI: endpoint: pci-endpoint-cfs.rst: avoid using ReSt :doc:`foo`
    markup
  docs: PCI: pci.rst: avoid using ReSt :doc:`foo` markup
  docs: process: submitting-patches.rst: avoid using ReSt :doc:`foo`
    markup
  docs: security: landlock.rst: avoid using ReSt :doc:`foo` markup
  docs: trace: coresight: coresight.rst: avoid using ReSt :doc:`foo`
    markup
  docs: trace: ftrace.rst: avoid using ReSt :doc:`foo` markup
  docs: userspace-api: landlock.rst: avoid using ReSt :doc:`foo` markup
  docs: virt: kvm: s390-pv-boot.rst: avoid using ReSt :doc:`foo` markup
  docs: x86: avoid using ReSt :doc:`foo` markup

 .../PCI/endpoint/pci-endpoint-cfs.rst         |  2 +-
 Documentation/PCI/pci.rst                     |  6 +--
 .../special-register-buffer-data-sampling.rst |  3 +-
 Documentation/admin-guide/media/bt8xx.rst     | 15 ++++----
 Documentation/admin-guide/media/bttv.rst      | 21 ++++++-----
 Documentation/admin-guide/media/index.rst     | 12 +++---
 Documentation/admin-guide/media/saa7134.rst   |  3 +-
 Documentation/admin-guide/pm/intel_idle.rst   | 16 +++++---
 Documentation/admin-guide/pm/intel_pstate.rst |  9 +++--
 Documentation/admin-guide/sysctl/abi.rst      |  2 +-
 Documentation/admin-guide/sysctl/kernel.rst   | 37 ++++++++++---------
 Documentation/block/biodoc.rst                |  2 +-
 Documentation/bpf/bpf_lsm.rst                 | 13 ++++---
 .../core-api/bus-virt-phys-mapping.rst        |  2 +-
 Documentation/core-api/dma-api.rst            |  5 ++-
 Documentation/core-api/dma-isa-lpc.rst        |  2 +-
 Documentation/core-api/index.rst              |  4 +-
 Documentation/dev-tools/kunit/api/index.rst   |  8 ++--
 Documentation/dev-tools/kunit/faq.rst         |  2 +-
 Documentation/dev-tools/kunit/index.rst       | 14 +++----
 Documentation/dev-tools/kunit/start.rst       |  6 +--
 Documentation/dev-tools/kunit/tips.rst        |  5 ++-
 Documentation/dev-tools/kunit/usage.rst       |  8 ++--
 Documentation/dev-tools/testing-overview.rst  | 16 ++++----
 .../bindings/submitting-patches.rst           | 11 +++---
 Documentation/doc-guide/contributing.rst      |  8 ++--
 Documentation/driver-api/gpio/using-gpio.rst  |  4 +-
 Documentation/driver-api/ioctl.rst            |  2 +-
 .../driver-api/media/drivers/bttv-devel.rst   |  2 +-
 Documentation/driver-api/media/index.rst      | 10 +++--
 Documentation/driver-api/pm/devices.rst       |  8 ++--
 .../surface_aggregator/clients/index.rst      |  3 +-
 .../surface_aggregator/internal.rst           | 15 ++++----
 .../surface_aggregator/overview.rst           |  6 ++-
 Documentation/driver-api/usb/dma.rst          |  6 +--
 .../acpi/dsd/data-node-references.rst         |  3 +-
 .../firmware-guide/acpi/dsd/graph.rst         |  2 +-
 .../firmware-guide/acpi/enumeration.rst       |  7 ++--
 Documentation/hwmon/adm1177.rst               |  3 +-
 Documentation/i2c/instantiating-devices.rst   |  2 +-
 Documentation/i2c/old-module-parameters.rst   |  3 +-
 Documentation/i2c/smbus-protocol.rst          |  4 +-
 Documentation/kernel-hacking/hacking.rst      |  4 +-
 .../networking/devlink/devlink-region.rst     |  2 +-
 .../networking/devlink/devlink-trap.rst       |  4 +-
 Documentation/process/submitting-patches.rst  | 32 ++++++++--------
 Documentation/security/landlock.rst           |  3 +-
 Documentation/trace/coresight/coresight.rst   |  8 ++--
 Documentation/trace/ftrace.rst                |  2 +-
 Documentation/userspace-api/landlock.rst      | 11 +++---
 .../userspace-api/media/glossary.rst          |  2 +-
 Documentation/userspace-api/media/index.rst   | 12 +++---
 Documentation/virt/kvm/s390-pv-boot.rst       |  2 +-
 Documentation/x86/boot.rst                    |  4 +-
 Documentation/x86/mtrr.rst                    |  2 +-
 55 files changed, 217 insertions(+), 183 deletions(-)

-- 
2.31.1