Subject: [PATCH net-next 0/5] veth: more flexible channels number configuration

From: Paolo Abeni <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2021 10:41:47 +0200

XDP setups can benefit from multiple veth RX/TX queues. Currently
veth allow setting such number only at creation time via the 
'numrxqueues' and 'numtxqueues' parameters.

This series introduces support for the ethtool set_channel operation
and allows configuring the queue number via a new module parameter.

The veth default configuration is not changed.

Finally self-tests are updated to check the new features, with both
valid and invalid arguments.

This iteration is a rebase of the most recent RFC, it does not provide
a module parameter to configure the default number of queues, but I
think could be worthy

RFC v1 -> RFC v2:
 - report more consistent 'combined' count
 - make set_channel as resilient as possible to errors
 - drop module parameter - but I would still consider it.
 - more self-tests

Paolo Abeni (5):
  veth: always report zero combined channels
  veth: factor out initialization helper
  veth: implement support for set_channel ethtool op
  veth: create by default nr_possible_cpus queues
  selftests: net: veth: add tests for set_channel

 drivers/net/veth.c                  | 305 +++++++++++++++++++++++-----
 tools/testing/selftests/net/veth.sh | 183 ++++++++++++++++-
 2 files changed, 434 insertions(+), 54 deletions(-)

-- 
2.26.3