Subject: [RFC PATCH net-next 0/3] netlink: formatted extacks

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2022 14:25:11 +0100

From: Edward Cree <[email-masked]>

Currently, netlink extacks can only carry fixed string messages, which
 is limiting when reporting failures in complex systems.  This series
 adds the ability to return printf-formatted messages, and uses it in
 the sfc driver's TC offload code.
Formatted extack messages are limited in length to a fixed buffer size,
 currently 80 characters.
There is no change to the netlink uAPI; only internal kernel changes
 are needed.

Edward Cree (3):
  netlink: add support for formatted extack messages
  sfc: use formatted extacks instead of efx_tc_err()
  sfc: remove 'log-tc-errors' ethtool private flag

 drivers/net/ethernet/sfc/ef100_ethtool.c  |  2 -
 drivers/net/ethernet/sfc/ethtool_common.c | 37 ------------------
 drivers/net/ethernet/sfc/ethtool_common.h |  2 -
 drivers/net/ethernet/sfc/mae.c            |  5 +--
 drivers/net/ethernet/sfc/net_driver.h     |  2 -
 drivers/net/ethernet/sfc/tc.c             | 47 ++++++++++-------------
 drivers/net/ethernet/sfc/tc.h             | 18 ---------
 include/linux/netlink.h                   | 21 +++++++++-
 8 files changed, 42 insertions(+), 92 deletions(-)