Subject: [PATCH v3 00/12] net: introduce TX H/W shaping API

From: Paolo Abeni <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2024 22:39:43 +0200

We have a plurality of shaping-related drivers API, but none flexible
enough to meet existing demand from vendors[1].

This series introduces new device APIs to configure in a flexible way
TX H/W shaping. The new functionalities are exposed via a newly
defined generic netlink interface and include introspection
capabilities. Some self-tests are included, on top of a dummy
netdevsim implementation, and a basic implementation for the iavf
driver.

Some usage examples:

* Configure shaping on a given queue:

./tools/net/ynl/cli.py --spec Documentation/netlink/specs/shaper.yaml \
	--do set --json '{"ifindex":'$IFINDEX',
			"shaper": {"handle":
				{"scope": "queue", "id":'$QUEUEID' },
			"bw-max": 2000000 }}'

* Container B/W sharing

The orchestration infrastructure wants to group the 
container-related queues under a RR scheduling and limit the aggregate
bandwidth:

./tools/net/ynl/cli.py --spec Documentation/netlink/specs/shaper.yaml \
	--do group --json '{"ifindex":'$IFINDEX', 
			"inputs": [ 
			  {"handle": {"scope": "queue", "id":'$QID1' },
			   "weight": '$W1'}, 
			  {"handle": {"scope": "queue", "id":'$QID2' },
			   "weight": '$W2'}], 
			  {"handle": {"scope": "queue", "id":'$QID3' },
			   "weight": '$W3'}], 
			"output": { "handle": {"scope":"netdev"},
			"output": { "handle": {"scope":"netdev"},
			   "bw-max": 10000000}}'
{'handle': {'id': 0, 'scope': 'netdev'}}

* Delegation

A container wants to set a B/W limit on 2 of its own queues:

./tools/net/ynl/cli.py --spec Documentation/netlink/specs/shaper.yaml \
	--do group --json '{"ifindex":'$IFINDEX', 
			"inputs": [ 
			  {"handle": {"scope": "queue", "id":'$QID1' },
			   "weight": '$W1'}, 
			  {"handle": {"scope": "queue", "id":'$QID2' },
			   "weight": '$W2'}], 
			"output": { "handle": {"scope":"detached"},
			   "bw-max": 5000000}}'
{'handle': {'id': 0, 'scope': 'detached'}}

* Cleanup:

Deleting a single queue shaper:

./tools/net/ynl/cli.py --spec Documentation/netlink/specs/shaper.yaml \
	--do delete --json \
	'{"ifindex":'$IFINDEX', 
	  "handle": {"scope": "queue", "id":'$QID1' }}'

deleting the last shaper under a group deletes the group, too:

./tools/net/ynl/cli.py --spec Documentation/netlink/specs/shaper.yaml \
	--do delete --json \
	'{"ifindex":'$IFINDEX', 
	  "handle": {"scope": "queue", "id":'$QID2' }}'
./tools/net/ynl/cli.py --spec Documentation/netlink/specs/shaper.yaml \
        --do get --json '{"ifindex":'$IF', 
			  "handle": { "scope": "detached", "id": 0}}'
Netlink error: Invalid argument
nl_len = 80 (64) nl_flags = 0x300 nl_type = 2
	error: -22
	extack: {'msg': "Can't find shaper for handle 10000000"}

Changes from RFC v2:
 - added patch 1
 - fixed deprecated API usage

RFC v2: https://lore.kernel.org/netdev/[email-masked]/

Changes from RFC v1:
 - set() and delete() ops operate on a single shaper
 - added group() op to allow grouping and nesting
 - split the NL implementation into multiple patches to help reviewing

RFC v1: https://lore.kernel.org/netdev/[email-masked]/

[1] https://lore.kernel.org/netdev/[email-masked]/

Paolo Abeni (8):
  tools: ynl: lift an assumption about spec file name
  netlink: spec: add shaper YAML spec
  net-shapers: implement NL get operation
  net-shapers: implement NL set and delete operations
  net-shapers: implement NL group operation
  netlink: spec: add shaper introspection support
  net: shaper: implement introspection support
  testing: net-drv: add basic shaper test

Sudheer Mogilappagari (2):
  iavf: Add net_shaper_ops support
  iavf: add support to exchange qos capabilities

Wenjun Wu (2):
  virtchnl: support queue rate limit and quanta size configuration
  ice: Support VF queue rate limit and quanta size configuration

 Documentation/netlink/specs/shaper.yaml       | 337 ++++++
 Documentation/networking/kapi.rst             |   3 +
 MAINTAINERS                                   |   1 +
 drivers/net/Kconfig                           |   1 +
 drivers/net/ethernet/intel/Kconfig            |   1 +
 drivers/net/ethernet/intel/iavf/iavf.h        |  13 +
 drivers/net/ethernet/intel/iavf/iavf_main.c   | 215 +++-
 drivers/net/ethernet/intel/iavf/iavf_txrx.h   |   2 +
 .../net/ethernet/intel/iavf/iavf_virtchnl.c   | 157 ++-
 drivers/net/ethernet/intel/ice/ice.h          |   2 +
 drivers/net/ethernet/intel/ice/ice_base.c     |   2 +
 drivers/net/ethernet/intel/ice/ice_common.c   |  21 +
 .../net/ethernet/intel/ice/ice_hw_autogen.h   |   8 +
 drivers/net/ethernet/intel/ice/ice_txrx.h     |   1 +
 drivers/net/ethernet/intel/ice/ice_type.h     |   1 +
 drivers/net/ethernet/intel/ice/ice_vf_lib.h   |   8 +
 drivers/net/ethernet/intel/ice/ice_virtchnl.c | 333 ++++++
 drivers/net/ethernet/intel/ice/ice_virtchnl.h |  11 +
 .../intel/ice/ice_virtchnl_allowlist.c        |   6 +
 drivers/net/netdevsim/netdev.c                |  37 +
 include/linux/avf/virtchnl.h                  | 119 +++
 include/linux/netdevice.h                     |  17 +
 include/net/net_shaper.h                      | 169 +++
 include/uapi/linux/net_shaper.h               |  91 ++
 net/Kconfig                                   |   3 +
 net/Makefile                                  |   1 +
 net/core/dev.c                                |   2 +
 net/core/dev.h                                |   6 +
 net/shaper/Makefile                           |   9 +
 net/shaper/shaper.c                           | 963 ++++++++++++++++++
 net/shaper/shaper_nl_gen.c                    | 142 +++
 net/shaper/shaper_nl_gen.h                    |  30 +
 tools/net/ynl/ynl-gen-c.py                    |   6 +-
 tools/testing/selftests/drivers/net/Makefile  |   1 +
 tools/testing/selftests/drivers/net/shaper.py | 267 +++++
 .../testing/selftests/net/lib/py/__init__.py  |   1 +
 tools/testing/selftests/net/lib/py/ynl.py     |   5 +
 37 files changed, 2988 insertions(+), 4 deletions(-)
 create mode 100644 Documentation/netlink/specs/shaper.yaml
 create mode 100644 include/net/net_shaper.h
 create mode 100644 include/uapi/linux/net_shaper.h
 create mode 100644 net/shaper/Makefile
 create mode 100644 net/shaper/shaper.c
 create mode 100644 net/shaper/shaper_nl_gen.c
 create mode 100644 net/shaper/shaper_nl_gen.h
 create mode 100755 tools/testing/selftests/drivers/net/shaper.py

-- 
2.45.2