Subject: [PATCH v10 0/6] Landlock: Add abstract UNIX socket connect restriction

From: Tahera Fahimi <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2024 22:08:50 -0600

This patch series adds scoping mechanism for abstract UNIX sockets.
Closes: https://github.com/landlock-lsm/linux/issues/7

Problem
=======

Abstract UNIX sockets are used for local inter-process communications
independent of the filesystem. Currently, a sandboxed process can
connect to a socket outside of the sandboxed environment, since Landlock
has no restriction for connecting to an abstract socket address(see more
details in [1,2]). Access to such sockets for a sandboxed process should
be scoped the same way ptrace is limited.

[1] https://lore.kernel.org/all/[email-masked]/
[2] https://lore.kernel.org/all/[email-masked]/

Solution
========

To solve this issue, we extend the user space interface by adding a new
"scoped" field to Landlock ruleset attribute structure. This field can
contains different rights to restrict different functionalities. For
abstract unix sockets, we introduce
"LANDLOCK_SCOPED_ABSTRACT_UNIX_SOCKET" field to specify that a ruleset
will deny any connection from within the sandbox domain to its parent
(i.e. any parent sandbox or non-sandbox processes).

Example
=======

Starting a listening socket with socat(1):
        socat abstract-listen:mysocket -

Starting a sandboxed shell from $HOME with samples/landlock/sandboxer:
        LL_FS_RO=/ LL_FS_RW=. LL_SCOPED="a" ./sandboxer /bin/bash

If we try to connect to the listening socket, the connection would be
refused.
        socat - abstract-connect:mysocket --> fails

Notes of Implementation
=======================

* Using the "scoped" field provides enough compatibility and flexibility
  to extend the scoping mechanism for other IPCs(e.g. signals).

* To access the domain of a socket, we use its credentials of the file's FD
  which point to the credentials of the process that created the socket.
  (see more details in [3]). Cases where the process using the socket has
  a different domain than the process created it are covered in the
  outside_socket test.

[3]https://lore.kernel.org/all/[email-masked]/

Previous Versions
=================
v9: https://lore.kernel.org/all/[email-masked]/
v8: https://lore.kernel.org/all/[email-masked]/
v7: https://lore.kernel.org/all/[email-masked]/
v6: https://lore.kernel.org/all/Zn32CYZiu7pY+rdI@tahera-OptiPlex-5000/
and https://lore.kernel.org/all/Zn32KKIJrY7Zi51K@tahera-OptiPlex-5000/
v5: https://lore.kernel.org/all/ZnSZnhGBiprI6FRk@tahera-OptiPlex-5000/
v4: https://lore.kernel.org/all/ZnNcE3ph2SWi1qmd@tahera-OptiPlex-5000/
v3: https://lore.kernel.org/all/ZmJJ7lZdQuQop7e5@tahera-OptiPlex-5000/
v2: https://lore.kernel.org/all/ZgX5TRTrSDPrJFfF@tahera-OptiPlex-5000/
v1: https://lore.kernel.org/all/ZgXN5fi6A1YQKiAQ@tahera-OptiPlex-5000/

Tahera Fahimi (6):
  Landlock: Add abstract unix socket connect restriction
  selftests/Landlock: general scoped restriction tests
  selftests/Landlock: Abstract UNIX socket restriction tests
  selftests/Landlock: Add pathname UNIX socket tests
  sample/Landlock: Support abstract unix socket restriction
  Landlock: Document LANDLOCK_SCOPED_ABSTRACT_UNIX_SOCKET and ABI
    versioning

 Documentation/userspace-api/landlock.rst      |   33 +-
 include/uapi/linux/landlock.h                 |   27 +
 samples/landlock/sandboxer.c                  |   56 +-
 security/landlock/limits.h                    |    3 +
 security/landlock/ruleset.c                   |    7 +-
 security/landlock/ruleset.h                   |   24 +-
 security/landlock/syscalls.c                  |   17 +-
 security/landlock/task.c                      |  127 ++
 tools/testing/selftests/landlock/base_test.c  |    2 +-
 tools/testing/selftests/landlock/common.h     |   38 +
 tools/testing/selftests/landlock/net_test.c   |   31 +-
 .../landlock/scoped_abstract_unix_test.c      | 1130 +++++++++++++++++
 .../testing/selftests/landlock/scoped_test.c  |   33 +
 13 files changed, 1483 insertions(+), 45 deletions(-)
 create mode 100644 tools/testing/selftests/landlock/scoped_abstract_unix_test.c
 create mode 100644 tools/testing/selftests/landlock/scoped_test.c

-- 
2.34.1