Subject: [PATCH v4 net-next 00/12] net: introduce TX H/W shaping API

From: Paolo Abeni <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2024 17:12:21 +0200

We have a plurality of shaping-related drivers API, but none flexible
enough to meet existing demand from vendors[1].

This series introduces new device APIs to configure in a flexible way
TX H/W shaping. The new functionalities are exposed via a newly
defined generic netlink interface and include introspection
capabilities. Some self-tests are included, on top of a dummy
netdevsim implementation, and a basic implementation for the iavf
driver.

Some usage examples:

* Configure shaping on a given queue:

./tools/net/ynl/cli.py --spec Documentation/netlink/specs/shaper.yaml \
	--do set --json '{"ifindex":'$IFINDEX',
			"shaper": {"handle":
				{"scope": "queue", "id":'$QUEUEID' },
			"bw-max": 2000000 }}'

* Container B/W sharing

The orchestration infrastructure wants to group the 
container-related queues under a RR scheduling and limit the aggregate
bandwidth:

./tools/net/ynl/cli.py --spec Documentation/netlink/specs/shaper.yaml \
	--do group --json '{"ifindex":'$IFINDEX', 
			"leaves": [ 
			  {"handle": {"scope": "queue", "id":'$QID1' },
			   "weight": '$W1'}, 
			  {"handle": {"scope": "queue", "id":'$QID2' },
			   "weight": '$W2'}], 
			  {"handle": {"scope": "queue", "id":'$QID3' },
			   "weight": '$W3'}], 
			"root": { "handle": {"scope":"node"},
			 	  "bw-max": 10000000}}'
{'ifindex': $IFINDEX, 'handle': {'scope': 'node', 'id': 0}}

Q1 \
    \
Q2 -- node 0 -------  netdev
    / (bw-max: 10M)
Q3 / 

* Delegation

A containers wants to limit the aggregate B/W bandwidth of 2 of the 3
queues it owns - the starting configuration is the one from the
previous point:

SPEC=Documentation/netlink/specs/net_shaper.yaml
./tools/net/ynl/cli.py --spec $SPEC \
	--do group --json '{"ifindex":'$IFINDEX', 
			"leaves": [ 
			  {"handle": {"scope": "queue", "id":'$QID1' },
			   "weight": '$W1'}, 
			  {"handle": {"scope": "queue", "id":'$QID2' },
			   "weight": '$W2'}], 
			"root": { "handle": {"scope": "node"},
				  "parent": {"scope": "node", "id": 0},
				  "bw-max": 5000000 }}'
{'ifindex': $IFINDEX, 'handle': {'scope': 'node', 'id': 1}}

Q1 -- node 1 --------\
    / (bw-max: 5M)    \
Q2 /                   node 0 -------  netdev
                      /  (bw-max: 10M)
Q3 ------------------

* Cleanup:

To delete a single queue shaper:

./tools/net/ynl/cli.py --spec $SPEC --do delete --json \
	'{"ifindex":'$IFINDEX', 
	  "handle": {"scope": "queue", "id":'$QID3' }}'

Q1 -- node 1 --------\
    / (bw-max: 5M)    \
Q2 /                   node 0 -------  netdev
                       (bw-max: 10M)

Deleting a node shaper relinks all its leaves to the node's parent:

./tools/net/ynl/cli.py --spec $SPEC --do delete --json \
	'{"ifindex":'$IFINDEX', 
	  "handle": {"scope": "node", "id":1 }}'

Q1 ------\
          \
          node 0 -------  netdev
         /  (bw-max: 10M)
Q2 -----

Deleting the last shaper under a node shaper deletes the node, too:

./tools/net/ynl/cli.py --spec $SPEC --do delete --json \
	'{"ifindex":'$IFINDEX', 
	  "handle": {"scope": "queue", "id":'$QID1' }}'
./tools/net/ynl/cli.py --spec $SPEC --do delete --json \
	'{"ifindex":'$IFINDEX', 
	  "handle": {"scope": "queue", "id":'$QID2' }}'
./tools/net/ynl/cli.py --spec $SPEC --do get --json '{"ifindex":'$IF', 
			  "handle": { "scope": "node", "id": 0}}'
Netlink error: No such file or directory
nl_len = 44 (28) nl_flags = 0x300 nl_type = 2
	error: -2
	extack: {'bad-attr': '.handle'}
---
Changes from V3:
 - rename
 - locking
 - delete operates on node, too

v3: https://lore.kernel.org/netdev/[email-masked]/

Changes from RFC v2:
 - added patch 1
 - fixed deprecated API usage

RFC v2: https://lore.kernel.org/netdev/[email-masked]/

Changes from RFC v1:
 - set() and delete() ops operate on a single shaper
 - added group() op to allow grouping and nesting
 - split the NL implementation into multiple patches to help reviewing

RFC v1: https://lore.kernel.org/netdev/[email-masked]/

[1] https://lore.kernel.org/netdev/[email-masked]/

Paolo Abeni (9):
  tools: ynl: lift an assumption about spec file name
  netlink: spec: add shaper YAML spec
  net-shapers: implement NL get operation
  net-shapers: implement NL set and delete operations
  net-shapers: implement NL group operation
  net-shapers: implement delete support for NODE scope shaper
  netlink: spec: add shaper introspection support
  net: shaper: implement introspection support
  testing: net-drv: add basic shaper test

Sudheer Mogilappagari (1):
  iavf: Add net_shaper_ops support

Wenjun Wu (2):
  virtchnl: support queue rate limit and quanta size configuration
  ice: Support VF queue rate limit and quanta size configuration

 Documentation/netlink/specs/net_shaper.yaml   |  373 +++++
 Documentation/networking/kapi.rst             |    3 +
 MAINTAINERS                                   |    1 +
 drivers/net/Kconfig                           |    1 +
 drivers/net/ethernet/intel/Kconfig            |    1 +
 drivers/net/ethernet/intel/iavf/iavf.h        |    3 +
 drivers/net/ethernet/intel/iavf/iavf_main.c   |  150 ++
 drivers/net/ethernet/intel/iavf/iavf_txrx.h   |    2 +
 .../net/ethernet/intel/iavf/iavf_virtchnl.c   |   65 +
 drivers/net/ethernet/intel/ice/ice.h          |    2 +
 drivers/net/ethernet/intel/ice/ice_base.c     |    2 +
 drivers/net/ethernet/intel/ice/ice_common.c   |   21 +
 .../net/ethernet/intel/ice/ice_hw_autogen.h   |    8 +
 drivers/net/ethernet/intel/ice/ice_txrx.h     |    1 +
 drivers/net/ethernet/intel/ice/ice_type.h     |    1 +
 drivers/net/ethernet/intel/ice/ice_vf_lib.h   |    8 +
 drivers/net/ethernet/intel/ice/ice_virtchnl.c |  333 +++++
 drivers/net/ethernet/intel/ice/ice_virtchnl.h |   11 +
 .../intel/ice/ice_virtchnl_allowlist.c        |    6 +
 drivers/net/netdevsim/netdev.c                |   41 +
 include/linux/avf/virtchnl.h                  |  119 ++
 include/linux/netdevice.h                     |   17 +
 include/net/net_shaper.h                      |  116 ++
 include/uapi/linux/net_shaper.h               |   90 ++
 net/Kconfig                                   |    3 +
 net/Makefile                                  |    1 +
 net/core/dev.c                                |    2 +
 net/core/dev.h                                |    6 +
 net/shaper/Makefile                           |    9 +
 net/shaper/shaper.c                           | 1202 +++++++++++++++++
 net/shaper/shaper_nl_gen.c                    |  152 +++
 net/shaper/shaper_nl_gen.h                    |   41 +
 tools/net/ynl/ynl-gen-c.py                    |    6 +-
 tools/testing/selftests/drivers/net/Makefile  |    1 +
 tools/testing/selftests/drivers/net/shaper.py |  236 ++++
 .../testing/selftests/net/lib/py/__init__.py  |    1 +
 tools/testing/selftests/net/lib/py/ynl.py     |    5 +
 37 files changed, 3038 insertions(+), 2 deletions(-)
 create mode 100644 Documentation/netlink/specs/net_shaper.yaml
 create mode 100644 include/net/net_shaper.h
 create mode 100644 include/uapi/linux/net_shaper.h
 create mode 100644 net/shaper/Makefile
 create mode 100644 net/shaper/shaper.c
 create mode 100644 net/shaper/shaper_nl_gen.c
 create mode 100644 net/shaper/shaper_nl_gen.h
 create mode 100755 tools/testing/selftests/drivers/net/shaper.py

-- 
2.45.2