Subject: [PATCH v3 0/4] tools: ynl: add install target

From: Jan Stancek <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2024 11:41:40 +0100

This series adds an install target for ynl. The python code
is moved to a subdirectory, so it can be used as a package
with flat layout, as well as directly from the tree.

To try the install as a non-root user you can run:
  $ mkdir /tmp/myroot
  $ make DESTDIR=/tmp/myroot install

  $ PATH="/tmp/myroot/usr/bin:$PATH" PYTHONPATH="$(ls -1d /tmp/myroot/usr/lib/python*/site-packages)" ynl --help

Proposed install layout is described in last patch.

Changes in v3:
- dropped symlinks
- added install-headers install-rsts install-specs to PHONY target in generated/Makefile
- install headers from lib and generated directories to /usr/include/ynl

Changes in v2:
- squashed 1st and 2nd patch together
- added symlinks for original user-facing scripts for backwards compatibility
- updated also Documentation and selftests references
  (tested Doc build and selftests ping.py test)

Jan Stancek (4):
  tools: ynl: move python code to separate sub-directory
  tools: ynl: add initial pyproject.toml for packaging
  tools: ynl: add install target for generated content
  tools: ynl: add main install target

 Documentation/Makefile                        |  2 +-
 Documentation/networking/multi-pf-netdev.rst  |  4 +-
 Documentation/networking/napi.rst             |  4 +-
 .../networking/netlink_spec/readme.txt        |  2 +-
 .../userspace-api/netlink/intro-specs.rst     |  8 ++--
 tools/net/ynl/Makefile                        | 29 ++++++++++++-
 tools/net/ynl/generated/.gitignore            |  1 +
 tools/net/ynl/generated/Makefile              | 42 +++++++++++++++++--
 tools/net/ynl/lib/.gitignore                  |  1 -
 tools/net/ynl/lib/Makefile                    |  1 -
 tools/net/ynl/pyproject.toml                  | 26 ++++++++++++
 tools/net/ynl/pyynl/.gitignore                |  2 +
 tools/net/ynl/pyynl/__init__.py               |  0
 tools/net/ynl/{ => pyynl}/cli.py              |  0
 tools/net/ynl/{ => pyynl}/ethtool.py          |  0
 tools/net/ynl/{ => pyynl}/lib/__init__.py     |  0
 tools/net/ynl/{ => pyynl}/lib/nlspec.py       |  0
 tools/net/ynl/{ => pyynl}/lib/ynl.py          |  0
 .../ynl/{ynl-gen-c.py => pyynl/ynl_gen_c.py}  |  0
 .../{ynl-gen-rst.py => pyynl/ynl_gen_rst.py}  |  0
 tools/net/ynl/ynl-regen.sh                    |  2 +-
 tools/testing/selftests/net/lib/py/ynl.py     |  4 +-
 tools/testing/selftests/net/ynl.mk            |  3 +-
 23 files changed, 110 insertions(+), 21 deletions(-)
 create mode 100644 tools/net/ynl/pyproject.toml
 create mode 100644 tools/net/ynl/pyynl/.gitignore
 create mode 100644 tools/net/ynl/pyynl/__init__.py
 rename tools/net/ynl/{ => pyynl}/cli.py (100%)
 rename tools/net/ynl/{ => pyynl}/ethtool.py (100%)
 rename tools/net/ynl/{ => pyynl}/lib/__init__.py (100%)
 rename tools/net/ynl/{ => pyynl}/lib/nlspec.py (100%)
 rename tools/net/ynl/{ => pyynl}/lib/ynl.py (100%)
 rename tools/net/ynl/{ynl-gen-c.py => pyynl/ynl_gen_c.py} (100%)
 rename tools/net/ynl/{ynl-gen-rst.py => pyynl/ynl_gen_rst.py} (100%)

-- 
2.43.0