Subject: tg3: tg3_stop_block timed out

From: Bernd Schubert <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2006 00:43:38 +0200

Hi,

I have seen a few reports like this, but now broadcom seems to actively
support tg3, so I decided to send this.

... [many hamilton not responding messages]
4554928.798000] nfs: server hamilton not responding, still trying
[4554935.319000] nfs: server hamilton not responding, still trying
[4555468.940000] NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth1: transmit timed out
[4555468.940000] tg3: eth1: transmit timed out, resetting
[4555469.044000] tg3: tg3_stop_block timed out, ofs=3400 enable_bit=2
[4555469.147000] tg3: tg3_stop_block timed out, ofs=2400 enable_bit=2
[4555469.251000] tg3: tg3_stop_block timed out, ofs=1400 enable_bit=2
[4555469.354000] tg3: tg3_stop_block timed out, ofs=c00 enable_bit=2
[4555469.433000] tg3: eth1: Link is down.
[4555472.593000] tg3: eth1: Link is up at 1000 Mbps, full duplex.
[4555472.594000] tg3: eth1: Flow control is on for TX and on for RX.
[4555498.016000] nfs: server 129.206.21.200 OK
[4555648.015000] nfs: server 129.206.21.200 OK
... [many ok messages]

It seems to be the first time that something like this happend, at least I
don't find anything in the previous logs.

This is with 2.6.16, would it be worth to try a more recent tg3 driver (e.g.
from broadcom (3.58) or backported from 2.6.17 (3.59))? 

Thanks, 
Bernd