Subject: Re: Bridge & it's MAC address question

From: Sven Köhler <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2007 20:30:12 +0200

>>>> The bridge physical address is the minimum of all the attached devices.
>>>> This is done because the STP standard requires it.  You can reset it
>>>> to be the same as any of the attached devices. This will not cause a
>>>> problem unless using STP.
>>> You can in fact use any MAC address.  The STP standard recommends using
>>> the minimum address, as that is deterministic, and so it doesn't depend
>>> on the order in which you enslave subdevices.
>> So should restriction be lifted?
> 
> We should definitely allow users to override the MAC address of a
> bridge interface.

Yes, i would love to have that feature.

I'm using a bridge for a Xen host machine. Interfaces of the Xen guests
are dynamically added to and removed from the bridge. At the moment, i
create and add a tun interface to the bridge, so the bridge has a valid
mac address at all.

_______________________________________________
Bridge mailing list
[email-masked]
https://lists.linux-foundation.org/mailman/listinfo/bridge