Subject: Re: [RFC 2/3] genetlink: pass extended error report down

From: Ben Greear <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2017 12:27:33 -0700

On 04/07/2017 12:12 PM, Johannes Berg wrote:
> On Fri, 2017-04-07 at 11:37 -0700, Ben Greear wrote:
>>
>> I guess the error string must be constant and always available in
>> memory in this implementation?
>
> Yes.
>
>> I think it would be nice to dynamically create strings (malloc,
>> snprintf, etc) and have the err_str logic free it when done?
>
> We can think about that later, but I don't actually think it makes a
> lot of sense - if we point to the attribute and/or offset you really
> ought to have enough info to figure out what's up.

We can think about it later, but lots of things in the wifi stack
could use a descriptive message specific to the failure.  Often these
messages are much more useful if you explain why the failure conflicts
with regulatory, channel, virtual-dev combination, etc info, so that needs
to be dynamic.  The code that is failing knows, so I'd like to pass it
back to user-space.

Thanks,
Ben

-- 
Ben Greear <[email-masked]>
Candela Technologies Inc  http://www.candelatech.com