Subject: Re: Strange delays / what usually happens every 10 min?

From: Florian Boelstler <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 18:54:12 +0100

Hi Eric,

Eric Dumazet wrote:
> Instead of using less RAM, you could just boot with rhash_entries=1024 
> to lower the size of this table.

I just tried that and it seems to reduce the scan time. This is the 
result for the first 40 minutes of runtime:

root@mpc0:/# /tmp/wait.rt
looping 1 milli seconds nanosleep ...
17:10:11/425384 #1 MAX 1996/83117/-268599896 us/tick/usec (at 2107848557)
17:10:11/427385 #2 MAX 2001/83327/2001 us/tick/usec (at 2107931884)
17:10:11/433534 #5 MAX 2149/89477/2150 us/tick/usec (at 2108187839)
17:27:02/5897 #505291 MAX 2512/104576/2513 us/tick/usec (at 1223589469)

The first ~10ms delay usually occurred after ~15 minutes. So one could 
argue that the reported HIGH-value at 17:27:02 (GMT) is the first flush 
of IP route cache. And all later flushes weren't longer than 2,5ms.

Thanks to all of you, especially Eric. Now it seems I got an instrument 
to lower system response time.

Cheers,

   Florian

PS: Unfortunately I had to remove some CC:-entries since the local 
firewall seems to not allow anything but NNTP (for gmane) and HTTP.