Subject: 2.6.29-rc5: Reported regressions from 2.6.28

From: "Rafael J. Wysocki" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2009 21:35:07 +0100 (CET)

This message contains a list of some regressions from 2.6.28, for which there
are no fixes in the mainline I know of.  If any of them have been fixed already,
please let me know.

If you know of any other unresolved regressions from 2.6.28, please let me know
either and I'll add them to the list.  Also, please let me know if any of the
entries below are invalid.

Each entry from the list will be sent additionally in an automatic reply to
this message with CCs to the people involved in reporting and handling the
issue.

Listed regressions statistics:

  Date          Total  Pending  Unresolved
  ----------------------------------------
  2009-02-14       85       33          27
  2009-02-08       82       45          36
  2009-02-04       66       51          39
  2009-01-20       38       35          27
  2009-01-11       13       13          10

Unresolved regressions
----------------------

Bug-Entry	: http://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12706
Subject		: Oopses and ACPI problems (Linus 2.6.29-rc4)
Submitter	: Darren Salt <[email-masked]>
Date		: 2009-02-09 18:26 (6 days old)
References	: http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=123420431709877&w=4

Bug-Entry	: http://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12705
Subject		: X200: Brightness broken since 2.6.29-rc4-58-g4c098bc
Submitter	: Nico Schottelius <[email-masked]>
Date		: 2009-02-13 9:33 (2 days old)
References	: http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=123451768406825&w=4
Handled-By	: Len Brown <[email-masked]>

Bug-Entry	: http://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12681
Subject		: s2ram: fails to wake up on Acer Extensa 4220 (SMP disabled)
Submitter	: Orivej Desh <[email-masked]>
Date		: 2009-02-09 13:01 (6 days old)
First-Bad-Commit: http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commit;h=1cfe62c8010ac56e1bd3827e30386a87cc2f3594

Bug-Entry	: http://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12680
Subject		: Not having a VIA PadLock hardware incurs a long delay in probing on modules insertion attempt.
Submitter	: Valentin QUEQUET <[email-masked]>
Date		: 2009-02-09 09:12 (6 days old)

Bug-Entry	: http://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12671
Subject		: uvc_status_cleanup(): undefined reference to `input_unregister_device'
Submitter	: Ingo Molnar <[email-masked]>
Date		: 2009-02-08 14:58 (7 days old)
References	: http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=123410529909318&w=4

Bug-Entry	: http://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12670
Subject		: BUG: unable to handle kernel paging request at pin_to_kill+0x21
Submitter	: Alessandro Bono <[email-masked]>
Date		: 2009-02-08 11:04 (7 days old)
References	: http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=123409113223833&w=4

Bug-Entry	: http://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12668
Subject		: USB flash disk surprise disconnect
Submitter	: Vegard Nossum <[email-masked]>
Date		: 2009-02-08 10:21 (7 days old)
References	: http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=123408851821292&w=4

Bug-Entry	: http://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12660
Subject		: Linux 2.6.28.3 freezing on a 32-bits x86 Thinkpad T43p
Submitter	: Mathieu Desnoyers <[email-masked]>
Date		: 2009-02-04 21:11 (11 days old)
References	: http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=123378196022258&w=4
Handled-By	: Ingo Molnar <[email-masked]>

Bug-Entry	: http://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12650
Subject		: Strange load average and ksoftirqd behavior with 2.6.29-rc2-git1
Submitter	: Damien Wyart <[email-masked]>
Date		: 2009-01-20 16:25 (26 days old)
References	: http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=123246937207675&w=2

Bug-Entry	: http://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12617
Subject		: unable to compile e100 firmware into kernel
Submitter	: Andrey Borzenkov <[email-masked]>
Date		: 2009-01-31 15:59 (15 days old)
References	: http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=123341764915181&w=4

Bug-Entry	: http://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12615
Subject		: boot hangs while bringing up gianfar ethernet
Submitter	: Ira Snyder <[email-masked]>
Date		: 2009-01-29 19:41 (17 days old)
References	: http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=123325817201665&w=4

Bug-Entry	: http://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12613
Subject		: [Suspend regression][DRM, RADEON]
Submitter	: etienne <[email-masked]>
Date		: 2009-01-28 22:00 (18 days old)
First-Bad-Commit: http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commit;h=a9d51a5ad1154b5b20add1e8d30a5564f8aabbe9
References	: http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=123318030419558&w=4
		  http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=123334865404574&w=4
		  http://lkml.org/lkml/2009/2/8/203

Bug-Entry	: http://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12610
Subject		: sync-Regression in 2.6.28.2?
Submitter	: Ralf Hildebrandt <[email-masked]>
Date		: 2009-01-27 9:35 (19 days old)
References	: http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=123304977706620&w=4

Bug-Entry	: http://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12574
Subject		: possible circular locking dependency detected
Submitter	: Michael S. Tsirkin <[email-masked]>
Date		: 2009-01-29 11:35 (17 days old)
References	: http://lkml.org/lkml/2009/2/9/205

Bug-Entry	: http://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12571
Subject		: Suspend-resume on Dell Latitude D410 newly broken in 2.6.29-rc*
Submitter	: Ross Boswell <[email-masked]>
Date		: 2009-01-29 03:46 (17 days old)

Bug-Entry	: http://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12551
Subject		: end_request: I/O error, dev cciss/c0d0, sector 87435720
Submitter	: Ralf Hildebrandt <[email-masked]>
Date		: 2009-01-27 06:51 (19 days old)

Bug-Entry	: http://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12510
Subject		: 2.6.29-rc2 dies on startup
Submitter	: Ferenc Wagner <[email-masked]>
Date		: 2009-01-19 12:53 (27 days old)
References	: http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=123236969321703&w=4

Bug-Entry	: http://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12502
Subject		: pipe_read oops on sh
Submitter	: Adrian McMenamin <[email-masked]>
Date		: 2009-01-15 9:48 (31 days old)
References	: http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=123201298005600&w=4

Bug-Entry	: http://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12501
Subject		: build bug in eeepc-laptop.c
Submitter	: Ingo Molnar <[email-masked]>
Date		: 2009-01-14 17:25 (32 days old)
References	: http://lkml.org/lkml/2009/1/14/315

Bug-Entry	: http://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12499
Subject		: Problem with using bluetooth adaper connected to usb port
Submitter	: Maciej Rutecki <[email-masked]>
Date		: 2009-01-13 18:34 (33 days old)
References	: http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=123187185426236&w=4

Bug-Entry	: http://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12497
Subject		: new barrier warnings in 2.6.29-rc1
Submitter	: Christoph Hellwig <[email-masked]>
Date		: 2009-01-12 15:46 (34 days old)
References	: http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=123177528217154&w=4
Handled-By	: Jens Axboe <[email-masked]>

Bug-Entry	: http://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12494
Subject		: Sony backlight regression from 2.6.28 to 29-rc
Submitter	: Norbert Preining <[email-masked]>
Date		: 2009-01-19 8:14 (27 days old)
References	: http://marc.info/?l=linux-acpi&m=123235286829512&w=4
Handled-By	: Mattia Dongili <[email-masked]>

Bug-Entry	: http://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12490
Subject		: ath5k related kernel panic in 2.6.29-rc1
Submitter	: Sergey S. Kostyliov <[email-masked]>
Date		: 2009-01-12 7:38 (34 days old)
References	: http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=123174591509586&w=4
Handled-By	: Bob Copeland <[email-masked]>

Bug-Entry	: http://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12444
Subject		: X hangs following switch from radeonfb console - Bisected
Submitter	: Graham Murray <[email-masked]>
Date		: 2009-01-13 14:03 (33 days old)
First-Bad-Commit: http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commit;h=7c1c2871a6a3a114853ec6836e9035ac1c0c7f7a

Bug-Entry	: http://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12419
Subject		: possible circular locking dependency on i915 dma
Submitter	: Wang Chen <[email-masked]>
Date		: 2009-01-08 14:11 (38 days old)
References	: http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=123142399720125&w=4

Bug-Entry	: http://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12418
Subject		: Repeated ioctl(4, 0x40046445, ..) loop in glxgears
Submitter	: Pallipadi, Venkatesh <[email-masked]>
Date		: 2009-01-07 22:43 (39 days old)
First-Bad-Commit: http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commit;h=7c1c2871a6a3a114853ec6836e9035ac1c0c7f7a
References	: http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=123136836213319&w=4

Bug-Entry	: http://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12414
Subject		: iwl4965 cannot use "ap auto" on latest 2.6.28/29?
Submitter	: Jeff Chua <[email-masked]>
Date		: 2009-01-05 4:13 (41 days old)
References	: http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=123112882127823&w=4

Regressions with patches
------------------------

Bug-Entry	: http://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12663
Subject		: Commit 8c7e58e690ae60ab4215b025f433ed4af261e103 breaks resume
Submitter	: Jiri Slaby <[email-masked]>
Date		: 2009-02-07 18:40 (8 days old)
References	: http://lkml.org/lkml/2009/2/7/100
Handled-By	: Brian Gerst <[email-masked]>
Patch		: http://lkml.org/lkml/2009/2/7/100
		  http://lkml.org/lkml/2009/2/8/59

Bug-Entry	: http://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12659
Subject		: Failure to resume two Sandisk USB flash drives attached to a Belkin USB Busport Mobile (F5U022).
Submitter	: Miles Lane <[email-masked]>
Date		: 2009-02-03 4:58 (12 days old)
References	: http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=123363718614763&w=4
Handled-By	: Rafael J. Wysocki <[email-masked]>
Patch		: http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=123456499020575&w=4

Bug-Entry	: http://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12618
Subject		: hackbench [pthread mode] regression with 2.6.29-rc3
Submitter	: Zhang, Yanmin <[email-masked]>
Date		: 2009-02-01 7:30 (14 days old)
First-Bad-Commit: http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commit;h=490dea45d00f01847ebebd007685d564aaf2cd98
References	: http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=123347347726527&w=4
Handled-By	: Peter Zijlstra <[email-masked]>
Patch		: http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=123383366122146&w=4
		  http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=123383366222152&w=4

Bug-Entry	: http://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12609
Subject		: v2.6.29-rc2 libata sff 32bit PIO regression
Submitter	: Larry Finger <[email-masked]>
Date		: 2009-01-23 23:52 (23 days old)
References	: http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=123275478111406&w=4
		  http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=123254501314058&w=4
Handled-By	: Mikael Pettersson <[email-masked]>
		  Hugh Dickins <[email-masked]>
		  Sergei Shtylyov <[email-masked]>
Patch		: http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=123412278730735&w=4

Bug-Entry	: http://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12496
Subject		: swsusp cannot find resume device (sometimes)
Submitter	: Rafael J. Wysocki <[email-masked]>
Date		: 2009-01-09 12:24 (37 days old)
References	: http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=123150395731165&w=4
Handled-By	: Arjan van de Ven <[email-masked]>
Patch		: http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=123156441218358&w=4
		  http://marc.info/?t=123156453100002&r=1&w=4

Bug-Entry	: http://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12491
Subject		: i915 lockdep warning
Submitter	: Brandeburg, Jesse <[email-masked]>
Date		: 2009-01-13 23:17 (33 days old)
References	: http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=123188898423532&w=4
Handled-By	: Roland Dreier <[email-masked]>
Patch		: http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=123378709730700&w=2

For details, please visit the bug entries and follow the links given in
references.

As you can see, there is a Bugzilla entry for each of the listed regressions.
There also is a Bugzilla entry used for tracking the regressions from 2.6.28,
unresolved as well as resolved, at:

http://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12398

Please let me know if there are any Bugzilla entries that should be added to
the list in there.

Thanks,
Rafael