Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 0/2] RFC, aiding pid/network correlation

From: Alex Elsayed <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 02 Aug 2014 19:41:15 -0700

Peter Moody wrote:

> 
> On Sat, Aug 02 2014 at 19:28, Alex Elsayed wrote:
> 
>> Oh, I see now. Okay, that's actually considerably simpler - I just had
>> somehow gotten it fixated into my mind that the info would be used to
>> decide on allow/deny actions.
>>
>> The trick to do what you want is the 'audit' support in both -
>> here I'll use CaitSith as an example since the syntax is nicer.
> 
> Do these audit logs end up with the audit subsystem? My experience with
> the audit subsystem is that performance takes a big hit when you start
> sending thousands (or even hundreds) of audit messages per second.

No, they go straight to /proc/caitsith/audit and wind up looking like this:

#2012/04/08 05:03:03# global-pid=3720 result=allowed priority=100 / read 
path="/tmp/file1" task.pid=3720 task.ppid=3653 task.uid=0 task.gid=0 
task.euid=0 task.egid=0 task.suid=0 task.sgid=0 task.fsuid=0 task.fsgid=0 
task.type!=execute_handler task.exe="/bin/cat" task.domain="/usr/sbin/sshd" 
path.uid=0 path.gid=0 path.ino=2113451 path.major=8 path.minor=1 
path.perm=0644 path.type=file path.fsmagic=0xEF53 path.parent.uid=0 
path.parent.gid=0 path.parent.ino=2097153 path.parent.major=8 
path.parent.minor=1 path.parent.perm=01777 path.parent.type=directory 
path.parent.fsmagic=0xEF53

>> In the header of a CaitSith policy, you specify resource limits for audit
>> logs in the format
> 
> I will definitely check out caitsith though. I think I saw Tetsuo talk
> about it at LSS in San Diego a few years ago.