Subject: Re: [PATCH] Driver-core: Fix bluetooth network device rename regression

From: [email-masked] (Eric W. Biederman)
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 00:57:16 -0700

Kay Sievers <[email-masked]> writes:

> Yeah, but most of these things we should have fixed over the last
> years. There is no single WAIT_FOR instruction left in udev rules. :)

Last time I looked there were quite a few attributes that were still
getting created late.  I would not be surprised if the common case
works fine, but I know of a least one and I think a couple of weird
cases that still have to do unpleasant things.

Still that is a project for another time.

>> At the subsystem level bus devices look better.
>> At the individual device level bus devices stacked on bus devices
>> appear to be a namespace disaster.
>
> They are usually created by the same code, in many cases by the same
> drivers, and have not been a real problem so far. As you said, network
> devices are special here, because of the ability to rename them from
> userspace.
>
> At some time in the future, when buses and classes are merged, I
> expect stuff can just set a flag to have a 'glue dir' created or not.
>
> For now 'glue dirs' are limited to be created between a bus and a
> class device. It could possibly be extended to be created between
> classes of different types to handle issues like this.

Sounds like a plan.  And now I'm off on vacation.

Have a good one.

Eric