Subject: Re: [PATCH 00/15] sysfs support for namespaces

From: [email-masked] (Eric W. Biederman)
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2008 05:22:43 -0700

Cornelia Huck <[email-masked]> writes:

> My impression was that the networking folks didn't want any warnings for
> renaming failures, not just not for renaming a device to the same name.

Which would be reasonable.  Because all of the checks have been done
before sysfs is called so if sysfs sees a problem it is a sysfs bug.

>> In addition my introduction sysfs_rename_link handles this case
>> cleanly by first removing the old link and then creating the new
>> link.  Preventing false positives when the link names are the same.
>
> sysfs_rename_link() looks cleaner, I agree.
>
>> 
>> So it should be safe to drop Cornelia patch without a reoccurance
>> of scary errors.
>
> Hm, the description looks badly worded - I unfortunately left the old
> text unchanged when I respun the patch :( The patch re-introduces the
> warning in sysfs_add_one() which had been removed in the meanwhile and
> makes device_rename() use a non-warning version. I still think we want
> a warning for the general case since this is usually caused be some
> problems in the calling code (and the alternative would be to add
> checks to all callers.)

Right.  We just need to get the sysfs paths clean enough that we don't
emit false positives.  I think I have accomplished that for rename.

Eric