Subject: Re: [PATCH] Documentation: Document the Netlink spec

From: Donald Hunter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2023 09:23:50 +0000

Jakub Kicinski <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Wed, 08 Nov 2023 13:27:28 -0700 Jonathan Corbet wrote:
>> I do have to wonder, though, whether a sphinx extension is the right way
>> to solve this problem.  You're essentially implementing a filter that
>> turns one YAML file into one RST file; might it be better to keep that
>> outside of sphinx as a standalone script, invoked by the Makefile?
>
> If we're considering other ways of generating the files - I'd also like
> to voice a weak preference towards removing the need for the "stub"
> files.
>
> Get all the docs rendered under Documentation/netlink/ with an
> auto-generated index.

FWIW the index could use a toctree glob pattern like we do in
Documentation/bpf/maps.rst then it wouldn't need to be auto-generated.

> This way newcomers won't have to remember to add a stub to get the doc
> rendered. One fewer thing to worry about during review.