Subject: Re: networking bugs and bugme.osdl.org

From: Jan Rychter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2003 22:42:36 -0700

>>>>> "David" == David S Miller <[email-masked]> writes:
 David> On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 10:07:42 -0700
 David> Jan Rychter <[email-masked]> wrote:
 >> Interesting you should think you're 'rewarding' people. I thought
 >> your goal was to have fun working on cool software and making it
 >> better. I also thought I had the same goal as a bug-reporter.
 >>
 >> When I write software, I care about every bug report and consider
 >> people doing the reporting a very valuable resource.

 David> The whole game changes when you are stretched as thinly as I am.
 David> Scaling becomes everything, and nitpicking through vague and
 David> poorly composed bug reports is an absolute waste of my time as
 David> networking subsystem maintainer.
[...]

Couldn't agree more. Especially after having benefited from your code so
much (starting back in the early sparc days...).

 David> Having me pillage through a bug database is a poor use of my
 David> time and capabilities.  And all of my time is spent reviewing
 David> patches and dealing with the properly composed bug reports
 David> anyways, so even if I enjoyed pillaging through badly made bug
 David> reports I couldn't.

 David> People are assuming that just because _I_ don't want to work on
 David> the bad bug reports that I think nobody should.  It's the exact
 David> opposite.
[...]

Thanks for this explanation -- I responded because I was worried you
were convincing people that it's a good thing if bug reports get
dropped, because the really important ones will float to the top anyway.

--J.