Subject: [ANNOUNCE] Netdev 1.2 conference

From: Hajime Tazaki <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2016 00:36:58 +0900

Following the last successful Netdev 0.1 in Ottawa, Canada and
1.1 in Seville, Spain. We are happy to announce the third Netdev conference:
Netdev 1.2 (year 1, conference 2) from 5th to 7th October 2016 in Tokyo,
Japan (http://netdevconf.org/1.2/).

Netdev 1.2 is a community-driven conference geared towards Linux
netheads. Linux kernel networking and user space utilization of the
interfaces to the Linux kernel networking subsystem are the focus.  If
you are using Linux as a boot system for proprietary networking, then
this conference _may not be for you_.

Current topics include
- wireless
- performance analysis and improvement
- networking hardware and offload
- netfilter
- traffic control
- different networking layers (L2/3, etc)
- internet of things
- security
- additional topics can be suggested

We expect about 2 parallel tracks both during tutorials and main
talks.

Session submissions
-------------------
We encourage submission of paper and tutorial proposals, though we
*highly discourage* submission of recycled talks. Your proposals will
be evaluated by the technical committee in first place, that will
provide prompt feedback to you. If your proposal is approved, you will
be requested to submit your Camera-ready paper. Unlike other
conferences, accepted proposals will be regularly announced on our
website.

Please stay within the relevant topic focus and tie to FOSS Linux
networking to make it easier for the technical committee to provide
quick feedback. In order to give a talk you must be registered. If
your proposal is accepted you will not be charged a conference fee or
your conference fee will be refunded to you when your talk gets
accepted.  We will be posting more updates on how to submit in the
near future.

Why you should register
-----------------------
If you yearn for the old community tech driven conferences where you
mingle with fellow geeks (only these would be Linux networking geeks)
then this would be it. There will be no marketing flashy openings.
There will just be a pure feed of Linux networking.

Netdev 1.2 will be held back to back with netconf 2016.2 (the name is tentative),
the by-invite Linux kernel networking workshop.  So gurus of all sorts
will be there mingling and giving talks.  While there will be heavy
Linux kernel influence we expect a lot of user space presence as well.

Location:
---------
Tokyo, Japan. Exact location to be announced.

Important Dates:
----------------
June 1, 2016                    Call for proposals open
June 30, 2016                   Registration opens
August 15, 2016                 Call for proposals close
August 15, 2016                 Early Registration close
September 15, 2016              Conference schedule announced
September 15, 2016              Registration close
October 5-7, 2016               Conference days
November 1, 2016                Slides release
December 1, 2016                Paper release

Please register as soon as registration opens up on June 1.
Registering helps us plan properly for numbers of attendees, ensuring
venue sizes and supplies are appropriate without wasting resources.

We are looking for sponsors
---------------------------
If you feel like you can help us organize this event by sponsoring,
please drop us a line to: [email-masked] and we'll send you
our sponsorship policy.

Contact
-------
For any other general information, please contact: [email-masked].

If you're missing relevant information on our website, we kindly ask
you to be patient, we're working hard to get everything fully
organized. Stay tuned to our website and twitter, we'll be announcing
important information updates progressively.

-- 
Netdev 1.2 organization committee
Hajime Tazaki, Yuji Sekiya