Subject: Re: [PATCH] drivers/net/wan/hdlc_ppp: fix potential null pointer in ppp_cp_event logging

From: Krzysztof Hałasa <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2025 11:28:59 +0200

Paolo,

Paolo Abeni <[email-masked]> writes:

> If v2 is not ready yet, I think it would be better returning "unknown"
> instead of "LCP" when the protocol id is actually unknown.
>
> In the current code base, such case is unexpected/impossible, but the
> compiler force us to handle it anyway. I think we should avoid hiding
> the unexpected event.
>
> Assuming all the code paths calling proto_name() ensure the pid is a
> valid one, you should possibly add a WARN_ONCE() on the default case.

Look, this is really simple code. Do we need additional bloat
everywhere?

The compiler doesn't force us to anything. We define that, as far as
get_proto() is concerned, PID_IPCP is "IPCP", PID_IPV6CP is "IPV6CP",
and all other values mean "LCP". Then we construct the switch statement
accordingly. Well, it seems I failed it slightly originally, most
probably due to copy & paste from get_proto(). Now Kriish has noticed it
and agreed to make it perfect.

Do you really think we should now change semantics of this 20 years old
code (most probably never working incorrectly), adding some "unknown"
(yet impossible) case, and WARNing about a condition which is excluded
at the start of the whole RX parser?

Well, maybe gcc would identify and remove these new unneeded operations.
Maybe. I think we don't need more bloat at the source level either,
though.
-- 
Krzysztof "Chris" Hałasa

Sieć Badawcza Łukasiewicz
Przemysłowy Instytut Automatyki i Pomiarów PIAP
Al. Jerozolimskie 202, 02-486 Warszawa