Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next 54/54] net: ethernet: xscale: Convert to platform remove callback returning void

From: Krzysztof Hałasa <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2023 09:52:29 +0200

Hello Uwe, Linus,

Uwe Kleine-König <[email-masked]> writes:

> The .remove() callback for a platform driver returns an int which makes
> many driver authors wrongly assume it's possible to do error handling by
> returning an error code. However the value returned is ignored (apart
> from emitting a warning) and this typically results in resource leaks.
> To improve here there is a quest to make the remove callback return
> void. In the first step of this quest all drivers are converted to
> .remove_new() which already returns void. Eventually after all drivers
> are converted, .remove_new() is renamed to .remove().
>
> Trivially convert this driver from always returning zero in the remove
> callback to the void returning variant.

This makes perfect sense of course.

BTW, Linus, this is a separate entry in MAINTAINERS (INTEL IXP4XX QMGR,
NPE, ETHERNET and HSS SUPPORT). Perhaps you'd want it as well?
While I still have access to IXP425 and IXP435 hw, I haven't (literally)
touched them in years, so I guess there is very little reason (or rather
none at all) for me to linger as a maintainer of anything related to
IPX4xx anymore. If you wish, I can prepare a MAINTAINERS patch, or
something.

> Signed-off-by: Uwe Kleine-König <[email-masked]>

Acked-by: Krzysztof Hałasa <[email-masked]>

> ---
>  drivers/net/ethernet/xscale/ixp4xx_eth.c | 5 ++---
>  1 file changed, 2 insertions(+), 3 deletions(-)

-- 
Krzysztof "Chris" Hałasa

Sieć Badawcza Łukasiewicz
Przemysłowy Instytut Automatyki i Pomiarów PIAP
Al. Jerozolimskie 202, 02-486 Warszawa