Subject: Re: [bisected] kernel panic 2.6.22 -> 2.6.26-rc9+

From: Krzysztof Halasa <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2008 12:48:15 +0200

Andrew Morton <[email-masked]> writes:

> (cc's added)

(cc added) :-)

> I guess you're referring to this:
> http://linux.derkeiler.com/Mailing-Lists/Kernel/2008-07/msg04754.html

Right.

>> PPP over ATM connection (Thomson/Alcatel
>> Speedtouch). It doesn't seem to occur on the same IXP4xx with Ethernet
>> or V.35 WAN, and it doesn't occur on i386 + the same Speedtouch ADSL.
>> The kernel is basically unpatched, the only extra patch applied is the
>> platform support (nothing magic).
>> 
>> Generally to trigger the panic one has to request a TCP data stream
>> over that PPPoATM connection.

I see what's wrong now: that's the ARM fls() problem, the call in
fls64() to be precise. It seems it was already discussed: the patch in
http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/5/4/233 makes the problem disappear.

Perhaps it's time to fix it definitely?
-- 
Krzysztof Halasa