Subject: Re: Strange packet drops with heavy firewalling

From: Benny Amorsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 08:20:46 +0200

Eric Dumazet <[email-masked]> writes:

> Le vendredi 09 avril 2010 à 14:33 +0200, Benny Amorsen a écrit :
>
>> Thank you very much for the help! I will report back whether it was the
>> hash buckets.
>
> OK
>
> You could try :
>
> ethtool -C eth0 tx-usecs 200 tx-frames 100 tx-frames-irq 100
> ethtool -C eth1 tx-usecs 200 tx-frames 100 tx-frames-irq 100
>
> (to reduce tx completion irqs)

Alas, even with the hash buckets I still have the same problem. Perhaps
slightly less severe, but it's still there.

I implemented the other changes you suggested as well except for the
ethtool -G. I may try to switch to net-next if I can find an easy way to
make an RPM out of it.

Thank you for the help!

/proc/sys/net/netfilter/nf_conntrack_acct:1
/proc/sys/net/netfilter/nf_conntrack_buckets:1048576
/proc/sys/net/netfilter/nf_conntrack_checksum:1
/proc/sys/net/netfilter/nf_conntrack_count:43430
/proc/sys/net/netfilter/nf_conntrack_events:1
/proc/sys/net/netfilter/nf_conntrack_events_retry_timeout:15
/proc/sys/net/netfilter/nf_conntrack_expect_max:2048
/proc/sys/net/netfilter/nf_conntrack_generic_timeout:600
/proc/sys/net/netfilter/nf_conntrack_icmp_timeout:30
/proc/sys/net/netfilter/nf_conntrack_log_invalid:1
/proc/sys/net/netfilter/nf_conntrack_max:1048576
/proc/sys/net/netfilter/nf_conntrack_tcp_be_liberal:0
/proc/sys/net/netfilter/nf_conntrack_tcp_loose:1
/proc/sys/net/netfilter/nf_conntrack_tcp_max_retrans:3
/proc/sys/net/netfilter/nf_conntrack_tcp_timeout_close:10
/proc/sys/net/netfilter/nf_conntrack_tcp_timeout_close_wait:60
/proc/sys/net/netfilter/nf_conntrack_tcp_timeout_established:432000
/proc/sys/net/netfilter/nf_conntrack_tcp_timeout_fin_wait:120
/proc/sys/net/netfilter/nf_conntrack_tcp_timeout_last_ack:30
/proc/sys/net/netfilter/nf_conntrack_tcp_timeout_max_retrans:300
/proc/sys/net/netfilter/nf_conntrack_tcp_timeout_syn_recv:60
/proc/sys/net/netfilter/nf_conntrack_tcp_timeout_syn_sent:120
/proc/sys/net/netfilter/nf_conntrack_tcp_timeout_time_wait:120
/proc/sys/net/netfilter/nf_conntrack_tcp_timeout_unacknowledged:300
/proc/sys/net/netfilter/nf_conntrack_udp_timeout:30
/proc/sys/net/netfilter/nf_conntrack_udp_timeout_stream:180

/Benny