Subject: Re: [PATCH REPOST] usbnet: asix: leave the carrier control to phylink

From: Krzysztof Hałasa <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2025 13:55:49 +0200

Oleksij,

thanks for your fast response.

Oleksij Rempel <[email-masked]> writes:

> Good point, this artifact should be partially removed, but not for all
> devices.  Only ax88772 are converted to PHYlink. ax88178 are not
> converted.

There is also AX88172. I assume the situation with 172 and 178 is
similar.

> The AX88772 portion of the driver, is not forwarding the interrupt to
> the PHY driver. It means, PHY is in polling mode. As long as PHY
> provides proper information, it will work.

It does, yes.

> On other hand, you seems to use AX88772B in 100BASE-FX mode. I'm sure,
> current PHY driver for this device do not know anything about FX mode:
> drivers/net/phy/ax88796b.c
>
> Which 100BASE-FX PHY  capable device do you use? Is it possible to buy
> it some where?

No, it's a part of custom hw, but the carrier problem seems to be
independent of the actual PHY type. The PHY code needs a bit of fixing
as well, though (one can't really enable autoneg with 100BASE-FX).

Will attach a version with 8817x parts removed.
-- 
Krzysztof "Chris" Hałasa

Sieć Badawcza Łukasiewicz
Przemysłowy Instytut Automatyki i Pomiarów PIAP
Al. Jerozolimskie 202, 02-486 Warszawa