Subject: Re: BUG or not? GFP_KERNEL with interrupts disabled.

From: Trond Myklebust <[email-masked]>
Date: 27 Mar 2003 15:11:56 +0100

>>>>> " " == David S Miller <[email-masked]> writes:

     >    From: [email-masked] Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 15:32:02
     >    +0200 (IST)

     >    Further more, holding a lock_irq doesn't mean bottom halves
     >    are disabled too, it just means interrupts are disabled and
     >    no *new* softirq can be queued. Consider the following
     >    situation:
   
     > I think local_bh_enable() should check irqs_disabled() and
     > honour that.  What you are showing here, that BH's can run via
     > local_bh_enable() even when IRQs are disabled, is a BUG().

     > IRQ disabling is meant to be stronger than softint disabling.

In that case, you'll need to have things like spin_lock_irqrestore()
call local_bh_enable() in order to run the pending softirqs. Is that
worth the trouble?

Cheers,
  Trond