Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next v2 0/4] Implement classifier-action terse dump mode

From: Vlad Buslov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 May 2020 09:46:23 +0300

On Fri 15 May 2020 at 20:04, Jakub Kicinski <[email-masked]> wrote:
> On Fri, 15 May 2020 14:40:10 +0300 Vlad Buslov wrote:
>> Output rate of current upstream kernel TC filter dump implementation if
>> relatively low (~100k rules/sec depending on configuration). This
>> constraint impacts performance of software switch implementation that
>> rely on TC for their datapath implementation and periodically call TC
>> filter dump to update rules stats. Moreover, TC filter dump output a lot
>> of static data that don't change during the filter lifecycle (filter
>> key, specific action details, etc.) which constitutes significant
>> portion of payload on resulting netlink packets and increases amount of
>> syscalls necessary to dump all filters on particular Qdisc. In order to
>> significantly improve filter dump rate this patch sets implement new
>> mode of TC filter dump operation named "terse dump" mode. In this mode
>> only parameters necessary to identify the filter (handle, action cookie,
>> etc.) and data that can change during filter lifecycle (filter flags,
>> action stats, etc.) are preserved in dump output while everything else
>> is omitted.
>
> Please keep the review tags you already got when making minor changes.

Thanks. I generally hesitant to retain other people's tags when making
any changes to the code. I'll retain your tags when making trivial
changes from now on.

>
> Reviewed-by: Jakub Kicinski <[email-masked]>