Subject: Re: [PATCH v2] net: cpsw: fix obtaining mac address for am3517

From: Måns Rullgård <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2023 16:02:07 +0100

Simon Horman <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Fri, Jun 23, 2023 at 11:41:10PM +0200, Andrew Lunn wrote:
>> > > I feel like I am missing something here.
>> > 
>> > That is a weird response, you feel like something is missing
>> 
>> There is. The patch.
>> 
>> Maintainers have a slightly better memory than a goldfish, but given
>> the high volume of patches, we don't remember threads from 2016. Also,
>> all our infrastructure has limited memory, this patch is not in lore,
>> and it is not in patchworks. So in terms of getting merged, it does
>> not exist.
>> 
>> We do however recommend that if a patch has not been merged within 2
>> weeks, it is rebased, any Acked-by: etc tags are added and the patch
>> reposted.
>
> Thanks Andrew, that is also my position.
>
> A ping for a multi-year old patch is unusual (for me).
> I was wondering if there was a back story. I guess not.

The only story here is that I was reviewing the set of patches we apply
to our kernels, and I noticed that this one, judging by the discussion,
should have been applied to some tree or other ages ago.

Now if it takes 6 years to get a one-line patch (a fix for a regression,
no less) accepted, I have better things to spend my time on.

-- 
Måns Rullgård